The Duck Thread

My ducks cracked me up yesterday. My husband and I were working on the new coop and these little buggers were sticking their heads in and begging for treats. So naturally they got what they wanted lol

[VIDEO]

My ducks cracked me up yesterday. My husband and I were working on the new coop and these little buggers were sticking their heads in and begging for treats. So naturally they got what they wanted lol
ROFL
lau.gif

In the process of putting in a duck pond, and my plan was to use sand around the pond, looked at a friends pond and realized that would be a pain since the ducks just bring tons of it into the pool. So figured I would use pea gravel but ended up buying gravel AND this rubber mulch stuff. Should I put the rubber on top of the gravel or underneath? Wondering if I need to be worried about the ducks eating the rubber. Thanks

My ducks try to eat everything. The previous owner of our property for some reason put tire rubber that looks like it was put through a mulcher on the driveway and over the years it has washed.... Everywhere including the yard and I catch the ducks trying to chew on it all the time, thankfully is it too large for them to get down. Unless you can teach them not to eat it, I wouldn't get rubber. We considered pea gravel too but the way our guys try to eat the gravel driveway we decided against it. Still haven't found a good alternative for their pen, it's just a dirt/poop floor for now.

Can anyone help tell what beed this little guy might be? I just got him the other day and I can tell the other is a runner but no sure about him....he also has a small crest on his head

Last edited:
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get my ducks to go into our pond???? They have a ball in their pool but stand by the shore of the pond and won't get in or drink from it.... It's 2 acres and they've had access to it now for about a month, at least a few hours everyday. They went in a little at the beginning but now they don't go in at all and its hot out! Id think they would want to get in the water and cool down.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to get my ducks to go into our pond???? They have a ball in their pool but stand by the shore of the pond and won't get in or drink from it.... It's 2 acres and they've had access to it now for about a month, at least a few hours everyday. They went in a little at the beginning but now they don't go in at all and its hot out! Id think they would want to get in the water and cool down.
can you show us a pic of the pond? i am thinking maybe they dont go in cuz there is no above cover for them? like trees, maybe they feel vulnerable to preds? how old are your ducks, maybe they are too young and scared? maybe it is too far from their normal foraging area? how far is it from their sleeping quarters? what kind of ducks are they?
P.S. the pond is 2 acres large? that is very big, it may be too big for them and it is scaring them from going in? have you tried giving them their fav treats at the shoreline and then into the water.
if the pond is so large, do you really want them out there? how will you get them out when you need them out? do you have a canoe to go get them?

Last edited:
have you tryed putting there food and water at the edge of the pond or there favorite snack?

Back
Top Bottom