The Duck Thread

Please help: baby's born yesterday and today. 4. One has a bad prolapse. She can't eliminate on her own. Vet will uthanize her/him. When you try to push in. There is waste and a little bit of blood and a big bouble in vent. It's to big to stAy in place. Bandage doesn't stick. How would I super glue it .

Please help: baby's born yesterday and today. 4. One has a bad prolapse. She can't eliminate on her own. Vet will uthanize her/him. When you try to push in. There is waste and a little bit of blood and a big bouble in vent. It's to big to stAy in place. Bandage doesn't stick. How would I super glue it .

I think you are mistaken and it is not a vent prolapse. It's likely the umbilical area that just hasn't closed up yet from hatching. You should not be trying to push it in and you definitely should not be trying to superglue anything. Even if it is a vent prolapse superglue is not going to help and you may end up supergluing the vent closed, rendering the duckling unable to pass waste and dooming it to a miserable, painful death.

Just like with the other duckling that you tried to help in the other thread, you should never ever try pushing on an unclosed umbilicus or an umbilical hernia, so please don't continue to do that.

Pictures would help a lot in determining what you're dealing with.

Last edited:
He'll get over it you have to help him. Bless his heart it could have been alot worse a foot or chunk of flesh if it was a snapper. I believe I'd do some baiting to see what you have in there. You sure don't want mama ducks taking their ducklings down there snapping turtles will eat them.
I'm more worried about him today. Continues to bleed bright red. I brought him inside because of the heat and flies. There are definitely feathers missing in that area right? I'm just so worried it's his 'member' but trying to get a good luck really stresses him and ME out
sad.png

All great suggestions for my stubborn pond hating ducks
1f60a.png
There are a lot of turtles in the pond. I know we have snapping turtles in the area, we had one come up out of our hay field the other day we turned him back towards it although I'm sure he eventually made it to the water. Usually we just see them floating on the surface. There are lots of Hawks flying overhead through the day and vultures (less concerned about them) but they always are looking out for them. They have their own pool in their pen which they have a ball in even though our pekin can stand up in it now that they are grown. Their pen is at the top of the hill less than 100ft from the water but they don't usually go back up to their pen for water till early evening. Aside from all of that they went in the water today when me and the SO were up at the house. They were swimming around fine until someone freaks out about something and they all come hauling *** out of the water. Here's a picture of the pond.
And this is where they usually stay while they are out of their pen. (They get to free-range if we are home)

Someone was also talking about eclipsing and I had no idea what it was but my mallard Drake is eclipsing now!!! Excited to see how his colors come out!!!

group shot, wouldn't want to leave anyone out!
Beautiful ducks!

I'm more worried about him today. Continues to bleed bright red. I brought him inside because of the heat and flies. There are definitely feathers missing in that area right? I'm just so worried it's his 'member' but trying to get a good luck really stresses him and ME out
sad.png
hugs.gif
I'm assuming you don't have a vet that treats "exotic" animals?

Question on eggs for eating. My 2 little hens lay their eggs religiously each morning. I use their eggs a lot but am unable to peel them when I boil them. The shell refuses to come loose from the egg. Any suggestions? I put salt in the water when I boil them and boil them for 7 minutes.

Thanks in advance!
M

After 18 years of raising layers I finally figured out how to peel them. I have large/jumbo layers and I like mine hard boiled.

I salt the water moderately (not enough to float an egg) and boil 15 minutes, then put the pot in the sink and run cold water in until I can handle the eggs. I then break open the air cell and run water into the air cell. It helps separate the membrane from the egg and peels easily if the egg is hot and the water cold.

I'm really worried about the amount of blood Fred has lost. everytime he shakes, fresh blood drips. Are these blood feathers that I have circled? Should I try to pull them?? Still no wound found and this is not at his vent. He's pooping just fine, no blood. @Miss Lydia
@Amiga
@WVduckchick
@Pyxis
@jchny2000
@casportpony

Anyone??

Back
Top Bottom