The Duck Thread

I got a Rouen today really excited!
celebrate.gif

Pictures?
big_smile.png

Someone in another thread I've been participating in is telling the poster to not clip their mallards when they're older because they won't fly away. This is coming from, it looks like, maybe five months of experience. So that's frustrating me a little. I know I've read plenty of stories right in here of people losing their ducks that way, so I really wish this new person wouldn't disregard all experienced advice like that and start advising another new duck owner to do something that will likely lead to the loss of their ducks. And I know this from my own experience - I made the same mistake when I was starting out - got two mallards, didn't clip them, lost them both. And then you all may remember when I had muscovies in a covered pen and despite that they managed to fly out of it because I didn't clip their wings and then half got hit by a car. Just a bad idea all around not to clip mallards if they're not in a totally secure covered pen. Same with calls, I'd imagine.

What's worse is the poster who said it's a good idea to not clip them said that they don't even put feed out for them because they want them to be able to survive elsewhere and find their own food if they do fly off...

Anyway, on a brighter note, Sugar is still hanging in there with her brooding, and hopefully I can expect ducklings in a few weeks! I should really try to count how many eggs she has under her. I don't think it's a lot, maybe six or so.

I'm new to this I have no idea what I'm doing but would like to ask a question. I have two 3 month old ducks I think perhaps they are both mail one duck if I'm in the garden will chase and bite me but once I sit in a chair is fine and will even let me pick it up and sit it on my lap. It also seems to hate me putting it in it's pen and leaving the garden but my partner has no issues with it. Is there any reason it is doing this?
I don't know, maybe it thinks because you are standing over him/her that you are a predator and he is biting at the "predator". Try squatting down when petting him/her. Sometimes drakes (male) can be snippy. You can tell if it is a drake (male) or hen (female) by their voice. A drake's voice is quiet and raspy whereas a hen's voice is loud and is a quack.

Hopefully someone with more experience with behavior problems will chime in here.

Good luck!

Oh, Welcome!!!
M

Someone in another thread I've been participating in is telling the poster to not clip their mallards when they're older because they won't fly away. This is coming from, it looks like, maybe five months of experience. So that's frustrating me a little. I know I've read plenty of stories right in here of people losing their ducks that way, so I really wish this new person wouldn't disregard all experienced advice like that and start advising another new duck owner to do something that will likely lead to the loss of their ducks. And I know this from my own experience - I made the same mistake when I was starting out - got two mallards, didn't clip them, lost them both. And then you all may remember when I had muscovies in a covered pen and despite that they managed to fly out of it because I didn't clip their wings and then half got hit by a car. Just a bad idea all around not to clip mallards if they're not in a totally secure covered pen. Same with calls, I'd imagine.

What's worse is the poster who said it's a good idea to not clip them said that they don't even put feed out for them because they want them to be able to survive elsewhere and find their own food if they do fly off...

Anyway, on a brighter note, Sugar is still hanging in there with her brooding, and hopefully I can expect ducklings in a few weeks! I should really try to count how many eggs she has under her. I don't think it's a lot, maybe six or so.
I agree. I had 3 mallards, 2 flew away, one just disappeared.

Question on this, I have 2 Cayuga and 2 black Swedish, I have noticed that when they "fly" they are getting about 2 feet off the ground and can cover around 10-15 feet. Should I clip their wings or just assume that when they get older (they are 4 months old) they will be too fat to fly? They are really comical with their "flying"! LOL

Thanks!
M

Back
Top Bottom