The Duck Thread

I agree. I had 3 mallards, 2 flew away, one just disappeared.

Question on this, I have 2 Cayuga and 2 black Swedish, I have noticed that when they "fly" they are getting about 2 feet off the ground and can cover around 10-15 feet. Should I clip their wings or just assume that when they get older (they are 4 months old) they will be too fat to fly? They are really comical with their "flying"! LOL

Thanks!
M
I have 16 Cayugas and they all fly like that now and then. None of them can manage the height to make it over the fence.

Glad the bleeding stopped! Hang in there Fred! Your butt is now famous!

*sorry, couldn't resist*
hide.gif

4 months old? Is Fred from the hatch I met you over??
He thinks he's sexy, lol.

I think we met over my first ever hatch 12/16/15. Fred is one of two from some shipped eggs that I hatched on Feb 22, 2016. I had to help both of them out of their shells. The girl died at about 4 weeks
sad.png

Last edited:
He thinks he's sexy, lol.

I think we met over my first ever hatch 12/16/15.  Fred is one of two from some shipped eggs that I hatched on Feb 22, 2016.  I had to help both of them out of their shells.  The girl died at about 4 weeks:(  

He is sexy, lol! Wow, it's been longer than I thought!

So sorry for losing her though... :( :hugs

I would put corn starch or flour on that wound asap. I use bag balm to cover and seal a wound too.
Good to know. His bleeding has stopped but I will get some to have on hand for future. I do have a product called Corona Ointment. I wonder if it might be the same??

I have new ducklings
big_smile.png

They are as cute as can be
wink.png

love.gif
Congratulations!
@Ren2014 great news about the bleeding, Hope Fred feels better. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.
hugs.gif
Thank you so much. Bleeding has stopped and he seems to be feeling better. Still keeping him in our guest bathroom, he takes up most of the floor, lol. I'm wanting to put him in our master shower so he can perch on the bench but my DH is going bolistic that I have him in the house anyways. I told him if his butt was on fire he wouldn't want to be outside with the flies and the heat.

I'm new to this I have no idea what I'm doing but would like to ask a question. I have two 3 month old ducks I think perhaps they are both mail one duck if I'm in the garden will chase and bite me but once I sit in a chair is fine and will even let me pick it up and sit it on my lap. It also seems to hate me putting it in it's pen and leaving the garden but my partner has no issues with it. Is there any reason it is doing this?
welcome-byc.gif

Here is a better picture!
Congratulations! Is that a drake feather coming in or just the way the picture angle?

Here is a better picture!
Wow GORGEOUS! I've never seen a Rouen that dark!

Someone in another thread I've been participating in is telling the poster to not clip their mallards when they're older because they won't fly away. This is coming from, it looks like, maybe five months of experience. So that's frustrating me a little. I know I've read plenty of stories right in here of people losing their ducks that way, so I really wish this new person wouldn't disregard all experienced advice like that and start advising another new duck owner to do something that will likely lead to the loss of their ducks. And I know this from my own experience - I made the same mistake when I was starting out - got two mallards, didn't clip them, lost them both. And then you all may remember when I had muscovies in a covered pen and despite that they managed to fly out of it because I didn't clip their wings and then half got hit by a car. Just a bad idea all around not to clip mallards if they're not in a totally secure covered pen. Same with calls, I'd imagine.

What's worse is the poster who said it's a good idea to not clip them said that they don't even put feed out for them because they want them to be able to survive elsewhere and find their own food if they do fly off...

Anyway, on a brighter note, Sugar is still hanging in there with her brooding, and hopefully I can expect ducklings in a few weeks! I should really try to count how many eggs she has under her. I don't think it's a lot, maybe six or so.
woot.gif
Go Sugar!

That sounds annoying. I hate it when people try to give out wrong info, though I've probably done the same thing at some one time or another. Hopefully the poster knows better.

Good to know. His bleeding has stopped but I will get some to have on hand for future.  I do have a product called Corona Ointment.  I wonder if it might be the same??

:love Congratulations!
Thank you so much.  Bleeding has stopped and he seems to be feeling better.  Still keeping him in our guest bathroom, he takes up most of the floor, lol.  I'm wanting to put him in our master shower so he can perch on the bench but my DH is going bolistic that I have him in the house anyways.  I told him if his butt was on fire he wouldn't want to be outside with the flies and the heat.

:welcome

Congratulations!  Is that a drake feather coming in or just the way the picture angle?

Thanks! Nope she is a hen.

Originally Posted by Miss Lydia

@Ren2014 great news about the bleeding, Hope Fred feels better. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much. Bleeding has stopped and he seems to be feeling better. Still keeping him in our guest bathroom, he takes up most of the floor, lol. I'm wanting to put him in our master shower so he can perch on the bench but my DH is going bolistic that I have him in the house anyways. I told him if his butt was on fire he wouldn't want to be outside with the flies and the heat.

@Ren2014 Flies are the worst they will crawl up inside the wound once you get maggots it's terrible so tell dh he needs to be patient. Or his butt will be on fire
wink.png

This is MIKO. SHE has taken over the night shift on garden my ducks. She has been working hard ever since Henry got killed. Just thought I would share. She is doing a darn good job. She is worn out.

Back
Top Bottom