The Duck Thread

I have a question: why does my Runner come over to me and stand there "bowing" quickly again and again? I thought she was trying to scare me away but when they scare the chickens away they put their head down and run, but that's not what she's doing with me.

@LudasMummy
   Your female being broody and your male being younger is probably what has happened. My females can put the younger drakes in their place and boy when they are broody they are a force to be reckoned with.Have they been together for a while?

They have yes since my drake was a week old. Whenever I see him attempt to mate with her she definitely holds her own and wins haha. But today my drake kept ending up on top and I'm just concerned if I'm not around and it happens he might hurt her. She's tough but still very small compared to him.

I have a question: why does my Runner come over to me and stand there "bowing" quickly again and again? I thought she was trying to scare me away but when they scare the chickens away they put their head down and run, but that's not what she's doing with me.

Head bobs are part of their mating ritual... they also seem to use it in acknowledgement of the head of the flock... congrats, you are a flock master... :D

Head bobs are part of their mating ritual... they also seem to use it in acknowledgement of the head of the flock... congrats, you are a flock master...
big_smile.png
Oh! LOL! Is that good? Why does only she do it, then? Is she "2nd in command"?

They have yes since my drake was a week old. Whenever I see him attempt to mate with her she definitely holds her own and wins haha. But today my drake kept ending up on top and I'm just concerned if I'm not around and it happens he might hurt her. She's tough but still very small compared to him.
Is he just standing on her. My drake does this with his girls he will get them down and stand on them, not sure if it's a dominant thing or not but this has been going on many years and those girls must be tough because he probably weighs at least 5 lbs more than them or even more. I'd keep an eye on them about all you can do.

Is he just standing on her. My drake does this with his girls he will get them down and stand on them, not sure if it's a dominant thing or not but this has been going on many years and those girls must be tough because he probably weighs at least 5 lbs more than them or even more. I'd keep an eye on them about all you can do.

Thanks Miss Lydia he's been standing and sitting on her and pecking her feathers. She doesn't have any eggs at the moment but it's about time she lays another clutch so maybe that's why she's provoking him. I've separated them for the day so we'll see how they go tonight. Thank you :p

Today's warm fuzzy! After a failed attempt with her own eggs and putting in some from my khaki Campbell's we have duckling 1 of possible 3. She worked so hard. She was strutting around when I came out with dinner.
See that silly spot she built her nest it drives me crazy.
Yea babies!

Today's warm fuzzy! After a failed attempt with her own eggs and putting in some from my khaki Campbell's we have duckling 1 of possible 3. She worked so hard. She was strutting around when I came out with dinner.
See that silly spot she built her nest it drives me crazy.
Yea babies!

Yay!! Go mama broody and babies!!! :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom