The Duck Thread

Lol, and after all that talk about my geese, some of them are on the home page carousel :p

I'm gonna go ahead and get the ducklings. If Sugar won't take them I have a couple broody hens that would love to.

Question. I plan to get a few ducks do I need to make a separate coop for the ducks? And if so how best to do so since I figure ducks don't roost like chickens.

youd only need sperate if you keep water inside you chicken coop...ducks make a mess with water and shouldnt have water in the coop for that reason just water out in the run. if you only have water outside in their run or your yard then housing them together is fine...mine share a coop a do well but you are right most ducks dont perch only ducks that perch that are easily available a muscivies....so just a thicker layer of straw/shavings or what ever bedding you use on the floor on the coop for the to lay down in and snuggle with the duck friends and they'll be good

I've got a bit of an unusual situation. Yesterday while egg hunting, I came across a clutch of seven or so mixed eggs. I figured since there were only seven and they were mixed, that they had been laid recently and threw them in my basket with the rest.

Fast forward a couple hours, and I was rinsing the eggs to put in the fridge. However, when I candled them (which I do to check for blood spots) I was quite surprised to find they were all developing. But this is the strange part. They're all at different stages of development. Some are very dark and others have just little red veins.

I decided to put them back where I found them, and discovered who has been sitting on them. It's my chocolate runner, Pteroducktyl. But she lays green eggs, and all of these are large white ones. So they aren't even her eggs. She sat back on them shortly after I put them back.

She isn't broody. She comes off the nest for treats and doesn't defend it. But she's just sitting on those eggs that aren't even hers. And now the eggs are probably dead since they sat inside and were washed.

Anyway, I just thought it was weird. But do ducks ever really make sense?

I've got a bit of an unusual situation. Yesterday while egg hunting, I came across a clutch of seven or so mixed eggs. I figured since there were only seven and they were mixed, that they had been laid recently and threw them in my basket with the rest.

Fast forward a couple hours, and I was rinsing the eggs to put in the fridge. However, when I candled them (which I do to check for blood spots) I was quite surprised to find they were all developing. But this is the strange part. They're all at different stages of development. Some are very dark and others have just little red veins.

I decided to put them back where I found them, and discovered who has been sitting on them. It's my chocolate runner, Pteroducktyl. But she lays green eggs, and all of these are large white ones. So they aren't even her eggs. She sat back on them shortly after I put them back.

She isn't broody. She comes off the nest for treats and doesn't defend it. But she's just sitting on those eggs that aren't even hers. And now the eggs are probably dead since they sat inside and were washed.

Anyway, I just thought it was weird. But do ducks ever really make sense?
My ducks sit on eggs that don't belong to them they don't care as long as they are eggs. Guess maybe your lil chocolate Runner [cute name] is either having help or the time she was sitting started things going.

My ducks sit on eggs that don't belong to them they don't care as long as they are eggs. Guess maybe your lil chocolate Runner [cute name] is either having help or the time she was sitting started things going.

I guess the reason I find it surprising is that she isn't currently laying. So how the instinct to sit kicked in baffles me. I'll have to keep an eye on the eggs to see if they live or not. I feel bad, lol.

I guess the reason I find it surprising is that she isn't currently laying. So how the instinct to sit kicked in baffles me. I'll have to keep an eye on the eggs to see if they live or not. I feel bad, lol.
You just didn't expect them to be growing. Bless. Ducks truly are amazing, strange and funny.

They sure are.

On a different note, does anyone else hose off their ducks? Mine love it
All my ducks scream like they are being slaughtered and run flapping their wings if I spray them. They won't even play in a sprinkler! Go figure. I guess it is what they get used to. I tried a few times spraying them while I was filling up their pool. They were NOT happy! I thought it would be nice since it is 100 degrees outside! Oh well!

Back
Top Bottom