The Duck Thread

They sure are.

On a different note, does anyone else hose off their ducks? Mine love it

[VIDEO]

Yup! Absolutely!! :thumbsup

My Runners and Buffs like to be sprayed also my female goose not my gander or my Muscovy's they are not that into it.

That is so cute !

All my ducks scream like they are being slaughtered and run flapping their wings if I spray them. They won't even play in a sprinkler! Go figure. I guess it is what they get used to. I tried a few times spraying them while I was filling up their pool. They were NOT happy! I thought it would be nice since it is 100 degrees outside! Oh well!

Sprinkler or hose, mine adore being sprayed... if it's the hose the rest will run across the yard to 'stand at attention' in the spray, lol... even the babies love it...

Yup! Absolutely!!
thumbsup.gif

Sprinkler or hose, mine adore being sprayed... if it's the hose the rest will run across the yard to 'stand at attention' in the spray, lol... even the babies love it...

love.gif
That's a neat sprinkler! I've never seen one like that.

Ours like to be sprayed as long as the water flow is light. They try to catch water drops in their bills. It's fun to watch.

:love    That's a neat sprinkler!  I've never seen one like that.

Ours like to be sprayed as long as the water flow is light.  They try to catch water drops in their bills.  It's fun to watch.

Mine do that too, but they don't care if it's full force, lol...

Sprinkler I got from Home Depot, I think... prob about 10 years ago, lol... has a butterfly in the middle circle (wanted the one with a dragonfly but they were out), and the circles spin opposite directions from each other... covers a huge area... didn't have practical use for it until the ducks! :gig

Mine do that too, but they don't care if it's full force, lol...

Sprinkler I got from Home Depot, I think... prob about 10 years ago, lol... has a butterfly in the middle circle (wanted the one with a dragonfly but they were out), and the circles spin opposite directions from each other... covers a huge area... didn't have practical use for it until the ducks!
gig.gif

Brave ducksies you have. (Read that like Yoda talks.
wink.png
)

I think I saw sprinkler like that, but didn't know they were sprinklers at the time.
hu.gif

Question here on egg laying, I have 2 adult Pekins (1.5 years old), 2 Cayuga, 2 Black Swedish and 1 Pekin (about 4.5 months old). The adults have been laying their eggs religiously every day since they were 6 months old, the past week or so there has been only one egg, then we started getting a small egg. As most duck's eggs are, they are huge! All of a sudden the past 3 days we have been getting a very small egg, about the size of a chicken egg, and a large one. Is it normal for egg sizes to change over a duck's life? I can't believe that the egg has come from the young ducks. Could that be??

It has been very hot here, almost 100 for the past 3 weeks. Could that be the problem?

Don't know if this has anything to do with it, but about 2 weeks ago the ladies quit laying in their laying box which they have used for 6-8 months. Now they are just dropping their eggs wherever!

The small egg is a cream color not exactly like the other large Pekin egg. What color eggs do the Black Swedish lay? I know the Cayuga egg will be black, but not sure about the Swedish.

Thanks for any help!
Mandy

Mandy, it's possible that they can begin laying at around 16 weeks old. Stress can cause variations in egg production, both laying frequency & egg quality. It's common so don't worry. Mine have stopped laying during weather extremes and when we introduced youngsters to the established group. Sorry, I'm not sure about what color eggs the Black Swedish lay.

Mandy, it's possible that they can begin laying at around 16 weeks old. Stress can cause variations in egg production, both laying frequency & egg quality. It's common so don't worry. Mine have stopped laying during weather extremes and when we introduced youngsters to the established group. Sorry, I'm not sure about what color eggs the Black Swedish lay.
On the Swedish thread they said they lay white eggs, that would explain the smallness of the one egg. I am not concerned, they all are eating, drinking, and playing, so all is good with them. I just don't know what I am going to do with all those eggs! The down side to having all hens! I had wondered about the heat being the culprit, but wasn't sure. The odd thing is we found one large egg in the enclosure (I assume it was from the adult), then when we let them out of the enclosure this morning the other adult went to a "nest" that she has made by my husband's shop and sat for a while and then left, leaving no egg. Unsure what that was all about. I haven't found any eggs laying around, so am unsure about anything. They are free roaming, so she could be laying somewhere that I haven't seen. Go figure, as someone said "They are ducks, they do duck things!" LOL

16 weeks would be about right for the babies (hatched March 9). Sure seems early! The black mottled egg that I found in the pool was crushed. I had emptied the pool before I had seen it and it hit the ground. I suppose I crushed it, the yolk was still in the egg. Who knows! A Mystery In Ledbetter!!!! Maybe I can write a Nancy Drew mystery!!! LOL

Thanks for giving me some insight!
Mandy

Back
Top Bottom