The Duck Thread

Quote:
Mandy, it's possible that they can begin laying at around 16 weeks old. Stress can cause variations in egg production, both laying frequency & egg quality. It's common so don't worry. Mine have stopped laying during weather extremes and when we introduced youngsters to the established group. Sorry, I'm not sure about what color eggs the Black Swedish lay.
Interesting, my "edit" didn't show above.

Today when I changed their water in their kiddie pool there was a mottled black egg in the bottom. I didn't see it before I dumped the water and it hit the ground hard and it was crushed. I understand that Cayuga's eggs are black/mottled black. It was either a Cayuga egg or an egg that had mildew on it. I had changed the water in their pool around 4 yesterday afternoon. I have never seen eggs with mildew on them in the pool.

Oh well, they're ducks! Hopefully the mystery will be solved someday soon!

LOL

Mandy

Hello, I am new to this site and I've just recently gotten my first ducklings! They are 5 weeks old now and doing great! I've done a lot of research and reading but I still have some questions if anyone is able to answer them! I was wondering...

1) What is the best feed for them when they become adults? It seems actual duck food can be hard to find? And what protein percentage should they be eating at this point?
2) If I need to feed my girls layer pellets when they get older, will this hurt my boy? I heard it can be hard on their kidneys? I think it would be impossible to separate their food!
3) Do ducks need extra niacin supplements forever or is this just while they are young and growing?
I appreciate any help and advice!! I just want the best for my babies!
jumpy.gif

They sure are.

On a different note, does anyone else hose off their ducks? Mine love it
I just love this. The Runners are so cute the way they pencil stretch to nip the water. These burds do not care about getting wet. I'd run as fast away from the sprinkler as I could. Not a duck burd. I see a chicken in the mix, too. Off to the side.

I just love this.  The Runners are so cute the way they pencil stretch to nip the water.  These burds do not care about getting wet.  I'd run as fast away from the sprinkler as I could.  Not a duck burd.  I see a chicken in the mix, too.  Off to the side.  

Yup, good eye! I have four chickens amongst lord knows how many ducks. The ducks that enjoy the shower the most are the mallard sisters and their nearly grown offspring. Here they are:

Oh, by the way. Who says ducks can't perch? ;)

Last edited:
Quote:
Interesting, my "edit" didn't show above.

Today when I changed their water in their kiddie pool there was a mottled black egg in the bottom. I didn't see it before I dumped the water and it hit the ground hard and it was crushed. I understand that Cayuga's eggs are black/mottled black. It was either a Cayuga egg or an egg that had mildew on it. I had changed the water in their pool around 4 yesterday afternoon. I have never seen eggs with mildew on them in the pool.

Oh well, they're ducks! Hopefully the mystery will be solved someday soon!

LOL

Mandy
P.S.S. to this post. This mystery is getting interesting. Last night when I went into the duck enclosure, I found a very soft large egg, about the size of a Pekin egg. I THINK (I am no expert here) that my little girls are gearing up to lay and this was the Jumbo Pekin's first egg. This morning when I went out to let them out there was one small egg and one large egg. So I am guessing that one of the adults has quit laying and the baby Swedish has started her laying. I am assuming that one of the girls is molting as I have feathers everywhere! It looks like one of them exploded. This mystery goes on.

We will be leaving them for 3 days this weekend. They will be cooped up in their enclosure while we are gone. It will be interesting to see how many/what kind of eggs we have in there when we return. Hopefully, there won't be any in their pool, but who knows! They are ducks and do what ducks do!! LOL

I'll keep you posted!
Mandy

I just love this.  The Runners are so cute the way they pencil stretch to nip the water.  These burds do not care about getting wet.  I'd run as fast away from the sprinkler as I could.  Not a duck burd.  I see a chicken in the mix, too.  Off to the side.  

2nd only to swimming in pond

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom