The Duck Thread

I will be building a new pen with coated 16 gauge hardware cloth across the bottom.

The current one has coated chain link across the bottom, fastened at the edges of the pen.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm doing my best...
Everyone else is fine, no issues... Io has been going higher up our hill (think she has a hidden nest, but we can't find it) and that's where I think the neighbors got overzealous with their chemicals...

Btw, this stems from our area having a nasty flea population boom of a rather difficult strain to eradicate... they believe they're infested with feather lice/mites from our birds... which are pest free...
hmm.png

Anyways, she came right back to our back door with her eyes closed... have irrigated them several times but she'd only open them very briefly right afterwards... now she is keeping them open for a few minutes...

I added Terramycin after the drops and think that's soothing the irritation more... appetite and spirits are good, just her eyes are very swollen... Lady Grey and Crash stuck by her side all night...

She kept her eyes open to munch down some meall worms, so looks more positive....
Oh, my sweet little baby girl child. Bless her. I am glad she is inside and that you are taking care of her and that she's doing well otherwise. So sweet of Lady Grey and Crash when they stuck by her side last night. These little ducks really are so tender.

I know how great you and OH take care of your flock and that they are pest free. It is so sad that Io came in contact with those chemicals. I am glad it wasn't anything malicious on your neighbors' part.

Let us know her progress. And tell her I love her.

They sure are.

On a different note, does anyone else hose off their ducks? Mine love it
Some of mine like it some don't.

love.gif
That's a neat sprinkler! I've never seen one like that.

Ours like to be sprayed as long as the water flow is light. They try to catch water drops in their bills. It's fun to watch.
X2

Hello, I am new to this site and I've just recently gotten my first ducklings! They are 5 weeks old now and doing great! I've done a lot of research and reading but I still have some questions if anyone is able to answer them! I was wondering...

1) What is the best feed for them when they become adults? It seems actual duck food can be hard to find? And what protein percentage should they be eating at this point?
2) If I need to feed my girls layer pellets when they get older, will this hurt my boy? I heard it can be hard on their kidneys? I think it would be impossible to separate their food!
3) Do ducks need extra niacin supplements forever or is this just while they are young and growing?
I appreciate any help and advice!! I just want the best for my babies!
jumpy.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Do you all agree that ducks are really cute?
Ducks yes, drakes??
hide.gif
LOL, I love my boys but they can be challenging at times.

Ok thanks RavynFallen.
smile.png
I'll be happy to have them outside as you know the water mess the little ones can make. Today they are going to take their first swim in the bathtub. Can't wait to watch them torpedo across the tub lol. We are having 90 degree temps outside now so they should be good to go outside a bit.
smile.png
Torpedoing across the tub underwater is my favorite part
big_smile.png

Thanks, I'm doing my best...
Everyone else is fine, no issues... Io has been going higher up our hill (think she has a hidden nest, but we can't find it) and that's where I think the neighbors got overzealous with their chemicals...

Btw, this stems from our area having a nasty flea population boom of a rather difficult strain to eradicate... they believe they're infested with feather lice/mites from our birds... which are pest free...
hmm.png

Anyways, she came right back to our back door with her eyes closed... have irrigated them several times but she'd only open them very briefly right afterwards... now she is keeping them open for a few minutes...

I added Terramycin after the drops and think that's soothing the irritation more... appetite and spirits are good, just her eyes are very swollen... Lady Grey and Crash stuck by her side all night...

She kept her eyes open to munch down some meall worms, so looks more positive....
Bless her heart. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

frow.gif
everyone. I've been busy treating a snapping turtle attack, trying to get the &!%# turtle, and we are re-digging our pond. Days have been long and exhausting. Just wanted to say hey
frow.gif

First of all I love your profile name AND i love yer burds of DUCK getting a spray of H2O.  They love it.  They are fully clothed and do not mind getting wet.  I love the chubby chunk at the very end.  I actually want to squeeze all yer berds.  
the chubby is Garfunkel anb tbe black is Simon. Tbeir payment to me for providing sprinklers, pond and hose is the mandatory squeeze now and then!

Well, all my waterfowl are molting here. Willow, the Canada goose hybrid, already molted in June when full blooded Canada geese molt. As always happens with Canada geese, she lost all her flight feathers at once, losing the ability to fly, and now they've grown back. Lacie goose is molting and has lost most of her flight feathers now and a bunch of other feathers - it looks like a white featherstorm out there. It's a particularly bad molt for her. It's hard to capture with pictures though because her down is the same color as her feathers.

And my two Welshie drakes are molting into eclipse plumage and are in the in between stage right now and they look awful, lol. Like they got hit by a tornado.

Oh, my sweet little baby girl child.  Bless her.  I am glad she is inside and that you are taking care of her and that she's doing well otherwise.  So sweet of Lady Grey and Crash when they stuck by her side last night.  These little ducks really are so tender.  

I know how great you and OH take care of your flock and that they are pest free.  It is so sad that Io came in contact with those chemicals.  I am glad it wasn't anything malicious on your neighbors' part.  

Let us know her progress.  And tell her I love her.

Of course I told her... and she promptly searched my hand for extra meal worms, lol... I let her into the front yard this afternoon and she even foraged a bit... keeping her eyes open a lot more and is doing much better... I will definitely keep you updated... :)

:frow everyone.  I've been busy treating a snapping turtle attack, trying to get the &!%# turtle, and we are re-digging our pond.  Days have been long and exhausting.  Just wanted to say hey:frow

Good luck on getting that turtle... and thanks for the kind thoughts for Io... :)

Well, all my waterfowl are molting here. Willow, the Canada goose hybrid, already molted in June when full blooded Canada geese molt. As always happens with Canada geese, she lost all her flight feathers at once, losing the ability to fly, and now they've grown back. Lacie goose is molting and has lost most of her flight feathers now and a bunch of other feathers - it looks like a white featherstorm out there. It's a particularly bad molt for her. It's hard to capture with pictures though because her down is the same color as her feathers.

And my two Welshie drakes are molting into eclipse plumage and are in the in between stage right now and they look awful, lol. Like they got hit by a tornado.

My rouen and my blue swedish are having their first molt. My swedish is doing OK but my rouen looms absolutely miserable lol.. :)

I need help!!! I have 4 ducks (2 Pekins and 2 Rouens) a male and female of each. They are free range all day and I have a house with a small yard for them at night. They used to go in their house easily, I would put some food in and they would run up the ramp and I would close the door. Now they refuse to go in. They even go in shifts to eat the food so I cannot close them all in. I don't know what to do. We don't have any predators in my neighborhood unless a neighbors dog gets loose, at least that I know of. The main problem is that I am hoping to collect their eggs but who knows where they might lay them in the yard. They are young. Born just before Easter. Any ideas??

Back
Top Bottom