The Duck Thread

Does anyone know if Red Velvet Ants (also called Cow Killers) that are actually a wasp are dangerous to ducks???

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
@needlessjunk
@attimus
@Pyxis

Or anyone else that might know?
those are here, it would be like getting stung by any other type of wasp, only those speciffically hurt like heck.

Last edited:
those are here, it would be like getting stung by any other type of wasp, only those speciffically hurt like heck.

Yup, just wondering if that intense pain might cause fatal issues in small ducks...

Oh. (-;

I am thinking it could be a risk, it depends on the ducks. Hmmm I wish I had some inspiration.

Call ducks for my worry...

Yup, just wondering if that intense pain might cause fatal issues in small ducks...
Call ducks for my worry...
Gosh, if they can kill a cow or even almost kill a cow because of the pain, gees.... poor little duckies. I've never seen one and hope not to.
fl.gif
that you don't have many.

Eww funky looking little thing. I've never seen one before. How big was it?

Not so little, over an inch long... and VERY hard to kill... took a dozen stomps, slides and squishings to kill it... no joke...
My knee is throbbing now...

Gosh, if they can kill a cow or even almost kill a cow because of the pain, gees.... poor little duckies.  I've never seen one and hope not to.  :fl that you don't have many.

They're solitary and that's only the 2nd I've seen here, but I'd rather know than take any risk...

They stay pretty isolated, never really see more than one or two at a time out here and they're 100s of feet apart. Still one or two would be enough to do some damage to a small duck or duckling.

That's what I was thinking, just wasn't sure if I was being paranoid, lol... I'd rather relocate harmless ones, but if it's a potential danger I will take care it won't continue to be one...

Thanks for responding, attimus... :)

Does anyone know if Red Velvet Ants (also called Cow Killers) that are actually a wasp are dangerous to ducks???

@Amiga
@Miss Lydia
@WVduckchick
@needlessjunk
@attimus
@Pyxis

Or anyone else that might know?

Looks like yours was a female - I don't see any wings. Males have wings but no stinger, so they're pretty harmless. Females don't have wings but they have very potent stings. If they could sting a duck through their feathers it would be really painful for them. They are actually generally very docile though and don't sting unless they're stepped on or picked up.

Back
Top Bottom