The Duck Thread

wow alot of rain! ..nice pond how do you keep it from turning green, thats what mine does! im afraid for the ducks to swim in it
Thank you. Well,,, not sure yet, lol. The original pond went green so we drained it and dug it much deeper in hopes to help. I plan on planting lots of submerged oxygenating plants and adding a skippy filter to keep it from
fl.gif

Hey guys. I just picked up 2 cayugas ducks/drakes. Not sure. One looks like it's tail is starting to curl and it for sure sounds like a boy. The other sounds like a boy with a slight quack at the end. No tail curl. Is there any other way to tell if it's a boy or girl? She originally told me they were both girls. I knew they weren't the second I heard them. She also said they are 4 months give or take but the look younger to me..
Can you post a picture?

Hey guys. I just picked up 2 cayugas ducks/drakes. Not sure. One looks like it's tail is starting to curl and it for sure sounds like a boy. The other sounds like a boy with a slight quack at the end. No tail curl. Is there any other way to tell if it's a boy or girl? She originally told me they were both girls. I knew they weren't the second I heard them. She also said they are 4 months give or take but the look younger to me..
If they are really young they could be females. The Cayugas I have did not have voice change until around 18-20 weeks.

Thank you.  Well,,, not sure yet, lol.  The original pond went green so we drained it and dug it much deeper in hopes to help.  I plan on planting lots of submerged oxygenating plants and adding a skippy filter to keep it from :fl

Can you post a picture?

If they are really young they could be females. The Cayugas I have did not have voice change until around 18-20 weeks.

I feel like they are a mix of mallard too. She didn't say that but one has a white spot and the other has some penciling on its chest. I don't care if they are but it's nice to know. :) they are smaller then my 7 week old anconas right now.. just for size comparison..

Last edited:

I feel like they are a mix of mallard too. She didn't say that but one has a white spot and the other has some penciling on its chest. I don't care if they are but it's nice to know.
smile.png
they are smaller then my 7 week old anconas right now.. just for size comparison..
They are beautiful. Hard to say. I bet you will be able to tell for sure by their voices in another week or so.
fl.gif

My cayugas will be 12 weeks old on Tuesday. I could tell the difference in voice around 8 weeks of age. The ducks at least had a distinctive quack. The males took a week longer to start using sounds other than their baby noises.

That's what I was afraid of. I could do the same with all my ducks as well. If that's the case most likely they are both boys.

Well, I acquired more ducks from the neighbors that don't feed their animals enough. They are all juvenile females (meaning they bought them this year, because they needed more ducks, obviously) and they appear to be a black swedish, a rouen, and a khaki campbell. If they want to stay, I'll keep them. They can be Sugar's new flock. They seem pretty content to stay. Probably happy that they found food and shelter and swimming water.

Well, I acquired more ducks from the neighbors that don't feed their animals enough. They are all juvenile females (meaning they bought them this year, because they needed more ducks, obviously) and they appear to be a black swedish, a rouen, and a khaki campbell. If they want to stay, I'll keep them. They can be Sugar's new flock. They seem pretty content to stay. Probably happy that they found food and shelter and swimming water.

Aww it's good of you to take them in.. :)

Back
Top Bottom