The Duck Thread

That makes sense. Pretty sure I've seen a male at the same pond. Any idea what the mom could be? She is the fawn and white one in the pic with the ducklings. There were two that looked very similar raising the batch together.

Sorry, I'm not sure what the female is. I just knew the khaki because I'm researching some duck breeds before I get them. She's probably some type of mix though...

Why in the world would you steal a duckling from a park?

Because it's a fishing pond and the only reason the ducks are there is because irresponsible idiots that drop off their Easter ducks they pick up from the tractor supply. The ducks can't even fly and when winter comes and all of the grass dies they will be surviving mainly off of hand outs from people coming to the pond. The drake is gorgeous and deserves a home. If I had the room I'd catch them all and keep them as domestic ducks because that is what they are. Just last month I was at another local duck pond and 1 of a group of 4 Pekins dumped there in the spring had been abandoned by its group because it had bumble foot. I couldn't catch it to help it and I still feel awful because it will die a slow and painful death.

I'm not going to feel bad for saving a domestic duck from a life (probably short one at that) in the wild where it doesn't belong. Instead he'll live well cared for for years with three of his own girls.

For a the hurt duck? We don't have the humane society where I am just the local animal control which is closed on Sunday's. Which is the day I was there. I'm sure that the local animal control knows about the ducks. They are on city land. They might even round them up in the fall or at least I hope they do. But I haven't been able to find any info on it and I don't honestly know how they would really.

Can you call the SPCA or Humane Society???

Perhaps you should let them know. Even write a letter to the Editor of your local paper about the plight the birds will face come winter and about how people shouldn't abandon domestic ducks in parks or ponds.

THAT could help many more ducks than just taking the pretty one home. It's like adopting the cute kid from the Russian orphanage and leaving the others to wither away.
And yes, I feel strongly about this.
We can all do more to help animals, kids, homeless etc with very very little effort on our part.

No it's like happening to actually get my hands on one of the group of gorgeous ducklings because he happened to be hungry enough to lower his guard for a second. There are prettier ones left there. Like a gorgeous mostly white with a little fawn female. Or another male with twice as much blue. But I only have room for one male so since I happened to get my hands on him this time he is the one that gets the home. Since its summer and they are well fed now I'm not going to stress too much. It's still months from winter weather here so if they start to look shabby or don't get picked up when it gets a little closer I'll make some calls. Until then I'm just going to take care of the one. There's nothing wrong with that.

Perhaps you should let them know. Even write a letter to the Editor of your local paper about the plight the birds will face come winter and about how people shouldn't abandon domestic ducks in parks or ponds.

THAT could help many more ducks than just taking the pretty one home. It's like adopting the cute kid from the Russian orphanage and leaving the others to wither away.
And yes, I feel strongly about this.
We can all do more to help animals, kids, homeless etc with very very little effort on our part.

I am so sorry. Were they all fenced in how the coyote get to them? We have coyote here and always worry they will scale the fence. That is so traumatic for you and for the girls left behind. Did your husband get the coyote/ Bobcat?
No we haven't gotten either. The ducks just disappeared! We assume that it snatched them out of the kiddie pool. The only ducks left (3) are the ones that didn't get into the pool much because the young ones (the one's snatched) were always in the pool and the "adults" couldn't lower themselves to bathe with babies! LOL From the position of the coyote on the game camera it was coming from the duck's kiddie pool. But we really have no positive answer, we haven't ever seen it.

As bad as this sounds, we are using the duck that passed as bait. I am having a hard time with that, she was a pet!! But so far it hasn't worked, we'll try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
if you can i would keep them in the enclosure for about a week and hopefully they will not come back for a while if they dont get food your encloser is covered on the top right ..so sorry for the lose we have lost some chickens to neighbors dogs very upsetting we have lost 2 ducks also makes you so mad
Yes, there is a top on the enclosure, we have the ducks penned, they have been penned up for about 4 days or so, and let me tell you they are P****D!! They want OUT!

My husband let them out today for a few hours, but they are spooked, they stay right by the house and do not go anywhere. I would be the same way if something was eating my friends!! I will continue to let them out for a few hours each day as long as I can stand there and watch them. Such a pain!! They look so pitiful just laying around instead of dabbling and catching bugs like they used to. So sad!

Last edited:
lucky for them you are close by i dont understand people that get animals and then not take care of them we had a rooster show up on saturday ( beautiful boy)thought he left , we couldnt find him that evening, next morning found him in the coop, hubby took him to were we thought he might live since they are new people that moved in came home from church and found him in the feed shed sleeping on the straw :)  poor baby so we now have another roo !!

oops, wrong reply

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom