The Duck Thread

@Pyxis. Could the wound be around the ear? Or is the ear the spot in front of the wound?
I've never looked for the ear on my ducks. This is a goose but I would think the ears would be in the same place.

Good luck, Linda

I am thinking it's part of her ear.  More vets are accepting e-mailed images these days.

The wound is below her ear. It could be an internal part of the ear, but the top part actually isn't attached to anything, only the bottom - and that's not something that happened in the attack, it looks as though it was designed that way. So I'm really not sure at all what it's for. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell me more, but they're not open again until Tuesday.

The wound is below her ear. It could be an internal part of the ear, but the top part actually isn't attached to anything, only the bottom - and that's not something that happened in the attack, it looks as though it was designed that way. So I'm really not sure at all what it's for. Hopefully the vet will be able to tell me more, but they're not open again until Tuesday.
Glad to hear she is doing better. Can't wait to hear what you find out. It has to be ear related being the location that it is
idunno.gif
or a gland of some kind.

Hello! I live in Nebraska also and I was wondering if you've ever had any issues with daytime predators? I haven't but I was curious what your experience has been. This is the first time ive owned ducks. My ducks have a good sized fenced in pen but it's uncovered and they are locked in at night. So really the only time they'd be in danger is during the day...

If your pen is uncovered anything can get in. We have had opossum, dogs and hawks during the day. At night, bobcat (still fighting that one), raccoon, opossum and snakes.
Look on the forum about coops to get dome ideas. Even a tarp over the enclosure will do.
Good luck!

Hi everyone, hope all of you are well.

Do all of you know about the friend, spirit, greeter, and educator awards?

All of us can nominate four people per month and these awards are given out every quarter, so be sure to nominate four people before the end of September!

Click here to nominate > NOMINATION SUBMISSION FORM

--- NOMINATION SUBMISSION FORM ---

We are very excited to announce the Official Launch of Phase 2 of the BYC Award Program! Phase 2 is YOUR opportunity to recognize those outstanding BYC members that always enrich your BYC experience. Do you know a BYC member that is exceptional and always goes Above and Beyond in their commitment to their fellow BYC members and the BYC community? If so, we want to hear about them!

We are now accepting nominations from the Community for those individual Members that consistently demonstrate a commitment to excellence in one or more of the following areas:
  1. BYC Educator: This is a Staff awarded accolade. We have changed this award to reflect only the highest standards. Only those who adhere to the highest standards of knowledge and education will be considered for this award. While nominations will be accepted for this award, the Staff will thoroughly vet each person and only those who meet/exceed the Staff's high criteria will be awarded the Educator Badge. Nominees must, among other points, have a verifiable reputation of providing information more than just "common knowledge," assist members in a positive and courteous manner, be open to feedback without getting defensive, and should maintain their good standing with little disciplinary action for rules violation.
  2. BYC Friend: These individuals are just plain fun and great to have around! They are our favorite comedians and enablers; our most cluckative. They are always accessible to lend a cordial and helping hand. Their enthusiasm encourages us, their empathy comforts us.
  3. BYC Spirit: These individuals best demonstrate ALL-AROUND outstanding service and commitment to the BYC members and community. While maybe not expert educators, they are trusted Educators nonetheless, as well as Friends to all. They are dedicated to the BYC Community as a whole, and strive to help promote, support and uphold its values and goals.
  4. BYC Greeter:
    668418fb_3.png
    These individuals are our BYC "Welcome Wagon!" They are the members that are most active in welcoming the new members to our community, especially in the "New Member Introductions" forum. Nominees will be judged on a) How long they've been welcoming new members; b) How many new members they welcome; and c) The quality and friendliness of their welcome.

See all the awards here.

Nomination & Award Process:
  1. Use this Nomination Submission Form to make your nomination, and be sure to include a brief comment on why you are nominating the individual. Nominations with no comment and only a name cannot be accepted.
  2. Members may place in nomination a maximum of four (4) members per month; however, you may nominate only one (1) member per award category per month.
  3. Nominations are automatically forwarded to the BYC Awards Committee. They will validate and tabulate all nominations.
  4. Member must be active and in good standing in the BYC community to receive and/or retain awards.
  5. Members may be nominated for, and be awarded, in more than one award category; eligibility requirements must be met for each individual award.
  6. Members may not nominate themselves for any award; all self-nominations will be voided.
  7. Qualified Awardees will be announced quarterly and Badges given.
  8. The Awards Committee, at its discretion and by majority vote, may elect to reclassify a nomination to a more appropriate award classification.
  9. All nominations shall remain confidential and known only to the Awards Committee and BYC Staff.
  10. The Members of the Awards Committee shall remain confidential and known only to BYC Staff.
-Kathy

Hey guys I need some help. The day before yesterday one of my anconas were acting strange. Kind of like she had a frog in her throat. I worried she might have ate something but there is nothing they can get to inside their pen. I kept an eye on her and noticed her breathing was a bit labored. I got pretty worried but we have had a big fire nearby and it's been really smoky outside. I thought maybe she was more sensitive then the other ducks. By evening she was quacking a little better. The next day we had to be gone for the day so I checking in on her when I could and she seemed about the same. Maybe a little better because she was running around again. This morning I let the ducks out of their house and she didn't follow. I went in to check on her and she had passed away. I was in total shock. She was just running around yesterday. None of the other ducks are acting sick at all. I've moved them all to another temp pen to be on the safe side. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I don't want my other ducks to be compromised....

Hey guys I need some help. The day before yesterday one of my anconas were acting strange. Kind of like she had a frog in her throat. I worried she might have ate something but there is nothing they can get to inside their pen. I kept an eye on her and noticed her breathing was a bit labored. I got pretty worried but we have had a big fire nearby and it's been really smoky outside. I thought maybe she was more sensitive then the other ducks. By evening she was quacking a little better. The next day we had to be gone for the day so I checking in on her when I could and she seemed about the same. Maybe a little better because she was running around again. This morning I let the ducks out of their house and she didn't follow. I went in to check on her and she had passed away. I was in total shock. She was just running around yesterday. None of the other ducks are acting sick at all. I've moved them all to another temp pen to be on the safe side. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I don't want my other ducks to be compromised....
I am so sorry for your loss @jenniferlamar70
hugs.gif
It's really hard to say what it may have been, the only way to know for sure would be to do a necropsy. They can be sick for quiet a while before we notice them being that way, hopefully it isn't anything contagious. Good idea being cautious though ..

Back
Top Bottom