The Duck Thread

I have 3 drakes.One 5 month old Ancona one who hasn't really gotten the hang of being show off,and two other pekins.

Ever since the Youngest Drake was about 6 or 7 months he has faught and lost too many battles with the other pekin. I noticed things started getting worse once the young ones' mate got ran over,then he was left with only one hen.Of course he did what i'm pretty sure any other drake would have done,scavenged and got what he could from the flock.Of course all of that showing off,got him into tussles with the older drake.

The younger got "Generally"loses fights.But here are today and they are still fighting eachother. It almost seems like every other season one is more dominant then the other.Today I realized the younger boy was seriously chasing the big boy.Finally they fought,and the bigger,older,stronger guy lost.And of course The younger one flew at him chased him etc.

I have noticed that as they have gotten along this few years and months things have gotten extremely rougher.Yesterday the older guy was "DRAGGING" the younger around as if they ere two dogs fighting,eventually the younger one gave up (Like usually),and ran.He had begun (About 2 months ago),to just not even fight.He would begin "Smack talking",slam beaks,then he would just run knowing that the older guy was probably just gonna beat him.

Guess this guy has gotten his guts back.Today (Like I said above),the younger guy has gotten extremely more aggressive,he had even started making the bigger guy (Sparta),stay from the flock,nearly period,but eventually closer to "Lock up" time the younger guy stopped being so mean.Now we will wait till tomorrow to see who is the Aggressor tomorrow.

I have about 9 hens to 3 drakes.Two of the teen hens have "Left" their other 2 siblings for the bigger more "Impressing" drakes.I have 3 Ancona "Hens" 2 Khaki hens, 3 pekin hens,and 1 one runner duck.Is this not enough for my older ducks (will have to deal with the younger guy when he gets mean,if he does.),i'm assuming he will since only one of hens old hen occasionally talks to him with a "flirty" tone.

What is my problem,why is none of this working?Are they just two drakes who cannot stand having another male around?Will I have to separate them?

Help its 2am and im out of feed for my ducklins. What can i give them. Not sure about age but maybe2 to 3 weeks old

Have they been eating crumb or growers pellets? When will you next be able to get some more feed from the feed store for them? I would try hard boiling some eggs and mashing them up for them.

Have they been eating crumb or growers pellets? When will you next be able to get some more feed from the feed store for them? I would try hard boiling some eggs and mashing them up for them.
Not pellets unless you smash them it's not easy for 2 week old ducklings to eat it. or moisten it.

So little ducky's wound has healed up really nicely. There's still a scab but a lot of the wound has already healed and has new skin. Today she and her guinea keet pals moved out of the house into a secure pen in my ayam cemani coop, where my other ducks currently reside (really need to actually get them moved into the duck house, lol). So now they all have more room and she can start bonding with her future flock mates. Now I just need to come up with a name! If I just keep calling her Little Ducky it's going to stick.
Did that place on her face heal? did you ever figure out what it was? Great to hear she is doing so well they can be a Miracle for sure.

I have 3 drakes.One 5 month old Ancona one who hasn't really gotten the hang of being show off,and two other pekins.

Ever since the Youngest Drake was about 6 or 7 months he has faught and lost too many battles with the other pekin. I noticed things started getting worse once the young ones' mate got ran over,then he was left with only one hen.Of course he did what i'm pretty sure any other drake would have done,scavenged and got what he could from the flock.Of course all of that showing off,got him into tussles with the older drake.

The younger got "Generally"loses fights.But here are today and they are still fighting eachother. It almost seems like every other season one is more dominant then the other.Today I realized the younger boy was seriously chasing the big boy.Finally they fought,and the bigger,older,stronger guy lost.And of course The younger one flew at him chased him etc.

I have noticed that as they have gotten along this few years and months things have gotten extremely rougher.Yesterday the older guy was "DRAGGING" the younger around as if they ere two dogs fighting,eventually the younger one gave up (Like usually),and ran.He had begun (About 2 months ago),to just not even fight.He would begin "Smack talking",slam beaks,then he would just run knowing that the older guy was probably just gonna beat him.

Guess this guy has gotten his guts back.Today (Like I said above),the younger guy has gotten extremely more aggressive,he had even started making the bigger guy (Sparta),stay from the flock,nearly period,but eventually closer to "Lock up" time the younger guy stopped being so mean.Now we will wait till tomorrow to see who is the Aggressor tomorrow.

I have about 9 hens to 3 drakes.Two of the teen hens have "Left" their other 2 siblings for the bigger more "Impressing" drakes.I have 3 Ancona "Hens" 2 Khaki hens, 3 pekin hens,and 1 one runner duck.Is this not enough for my older ducks (will have to deal with the younger guy when he gets mean,if he does.),i'm assuming he will since only one of hens old hen occasionally talks to him with a "flirty" tone.

What is my problem,why is none of this working?Are they just two drakes who cannot stand having another male around?Will I have to separate them?
Drakes just don't like to share their territory they are always a dominant one and the others will keep challenging him till they either get the tar beat out of them or they finally get dominance over the main drake but it can be very injurious for the ones that keep trying. I could never have any of my Muscovy drakes live together. I went for years having to keep them separate from each other first i only had 1 drake and he'd fight with the gander so they had to have separate parts of the property then when ducklings began coming I had to have more room because the new young drakes would want to be the dominant one. Fighting drakes can cause stress to the flock and to us. So I had my dh make stalls in the houses so the drakes could be separate at night and then during the day they would have their own part of the fenced in property and I had to make the hard decision to rehome some to. 8 hens to 3 drakes is not too good a ratio either. I have 3 drakes now 2 Runners and 1 Muscovy my Muscovy has 4 ducks and my 2 Runners have 4 each. So far my Muscovy is very tolerant of the 2 Runners and he is the oldest and the dominant drake. I would separate them and give each drake a few girls till you can get more females. or rehome 1 drake.

Hello all. Haven't been on in a while. Wanted to up date you all on all our baby's. Their all getting so big.
Huey has pretty much took over as "The Matriarch" of the Quack Shack. He mates with Jeffri almost morning and I know he's Scovy she's Pekin but I just want the babies to be healthy. Donald and Daffy are filled out on their colors but only Donald's got his triple curl. Daffy has no curls but beautiful green head.
They love posing. All but Louie. With his back turned. To show his good side. Lol.
The Apple yards are loving the outside. Here they are in the small enclosed area in the pond. Getting them noodle trained early so they know where to go.
Huey in all his glory. They are darkening up so much and I've read that they really don't get filled completely out till the following spring, so I'm excited to see em then.
Lucky, our in house Kahki Campbell and Wilbur get along so good. Everyone has their place. Oh and we got a goat.
Hes our pigmy mix Billy goat "Rebel Yell" He's so kool. And so smart as well as all the others. Everyone here belongs in the circle.
Cedar, Wilbur and Lucky chilling watching the Sunday night game. There's always so much to do but there's nothing id rather be doing. Everyone has there on attitude problems and they all have they own special personality. It's amazing how much we've learned and how much we still have to learn.
Our 5 Peas and 4 Guinea fowls love the big house they're in. Their dirt baths are cool to watch. But anyway rambling again. But hope you enjoy. We have many more pics and videos to post when time allows. Thanks.

TeamKelBoMorrison...

Hey guys I need some help. The day before yesterday one of my anconas were acting strange. Kind of like she had a frog in her throat. I worried she might have ate something but there is nothing they can get to inside their pen. I kept an eye on her and noticed her breathing was a bit labored. I got pretty worried but we have had a big fire nearby and it's been really smoky outside. I thought maybe she was more sensitive then the other ducks. By evening she was quacking a little better. The next day we had to be gone for the day so I checking in on her when I could and she seemed about the same. Maybe a little better because she was running around again. This morning I let the ducks out of their house and she didn't follow. I went in to check on her and she had passed away. I was in total shock. She was just running around yesterday. None of the other ducks are acting sick at all. I've moved them all to another temp pen to be on the safe side. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I don't want my other ducks to be compromised....

Hi i googled "Duck diseases" and found this:
http://www.raisingducks.org/common-duck-diseases

hope this helps in your search for your precious ancona duck who passed from an unknown cause.
im sorry for your loss. it is difficult when we dont know why or how come.

Hello all. Haven't been on in a while. Wanted to up date you all on all our baby's. Their all getting so big. Huey has pretty much took over as "The Matriarch" of the Quack Shack. He mates with Jeffri almost morning and I know he's Scovy she's Pekin but I just want the babies to be healthy. Donald and Daffy are filled out on their colors but only Donald's got his triple curl. Daffy has no curls but beautiful green head. They love posing. All but Louie. With his back turned. To show his good side. Lol. The Apple yards are loving the outside. Here they are in the small enclosed area in the pond. Getting them noodle trained early so they know where to go. Huey in all his glory. They are darkening up so much and I've read that they really don't get filled completely out till the following spring, so I'm excited to see em then. Lucky, our in house Kahki Campbell and Wilbur get along so good. Everyone has their place. Oh and we got a goat. Hes our pigmy mix Billy goat "Rebel Yell" He's so kool. And so smart as well as all the others. Everyone here belongs in the circle. Cedar, Wilbur and Lucky chilling watching the Sunday night game. There's always so much to do but there's nothing id rather be doing. Everyone has there on attitude problems and they all have they own special personality. It's amazing how much we've learned and how much we still have to learn. Our 5 Peas and 4 Guinea fowls love the big house they're in. Their dirt baths are cool to watch. But anyway rambling again. But hope you enjoy. We have many more pics and videos to post when time allows. Thanks.

TeamKelBoMorrison...
Great pictures, lovely pond, beautiful ducks, peas, pig, dog and new goat. It's alot of hard work but worth every minute. Thanks for sharing..

Back
Top Bottom