The Duck Thread

Does anyone else have headless ducks?!!?
1f923.png

And my beautiful welsh harlequin Daffy
1f60d.png

OMG!!!! She's so cute! I love the headless ducks playing in the pond as well!

Hello all you wonderful duck loving people!!
I'd like to get 2-3 adult hens/ducks, but I'm not sure what breed to get or where to get them.
Does anyone know of a hatchery or breeder in the Middle Tennessee area?

Edited to add:
I want ducks for pets/egg layers
If you don't find anything local, I would recommend Metzer Farms. I have purchased 18 ducks from them and have been very happy with all of them. They will sex day old ducklings so you can get just hens. They have a wide variety of breeds and although they are not "show quality" they are good strong healthy ducks who represent their breed well if not perfectly. Even if you decide not to go through Metzer, they have a wealth of information available on the various breeds they carry and on ducks in general. If you are looking for pets/layers and not planning to breed, I would suggest a mix since there are several who lay eggs fairly well and with ducks that look much different, it is easy to see them as individuals, learn their personalities and fully enjoy them as pets. With my two Rouen girls (they are true sisters from the same hatch and the only ducks I didn't get from Metzer), I can tell them apart, but if one does something quickly or at a distance, I can't be sure which one it was. With all my other ducks, I know who is who 100% of the time so I "know" them.

Here is a link to their breed comparison chart which is a handy reference:
http://www.metzerfarms.com/DuckBreedComparison.cfm

Incubating ducks question - all the things Ive read about incubating ducks is that they take 28 days to hatch (or start pipping at least) but are there certain breeds that take longer normally, such as 35 days? I have two duck eggs that were developing and were still moving when I candled beyond 28 days. We are now at 35 and one has an internal pip, working on external right now. None of the others developed. I dont know the breed of these eggs. I have khaki campbells that I incubated and it was like clockwork to the 28 days but these local eggs where I live seem to need an extra week (Ive tried some before and gave up after 30 days).

Incubating ducks question - all the things Ive read about incubating ducks is that they take 28 days to hatch (or start pipping at least) but are there certain breeds that take longer normally, such as 35 days? I have two duck eggs that were developing and were still moving when I candled beyond 28 days. We are now at 35 and one has an internal pip, working on external right now. None of the others developed. I dont know the breed of these eggs. I have khaki campbells that I incubated and it was like clockwork to the 28 days but these local eggs where I live seem to need an extra week (Ive tried some before and gave up after 30 days).

Muscovy ducks take 35 days.

Can Khaki Campbells fly? I didn't think they could, but, according to Metzer's comparison chart, their flying ability is "Maybe." Can they or can they not fly? And also, how are their temperaments? We're getting ducks again (For pets), and are considering a mixed flock of three that includes a KC.

Thanks in advance!
big_smile.png

Can Khaki Campbells fly? I didn't think they could, but, according to Metzer's comparison chart, their flying ability is "Maybe." Can they or can they not fly? And also, how are their temperaments? We're getting ducks again (For pets), and are considering a mixed flock of three that includes a KC. 

Thanks in advance! :D

Depends on your definition of "fly". Some can get a couple feet off the ground and go 50 feet or so but they can't fly away like a wild or call duck can. If I remember right they are mild tempered and lay a lot of eggs.

Depends on your definition of "fly". Some can get a couple feet off the ground and go 50 feet or so but they can't fly away like a wild or call duck can. If I remember right they are mild tempered and lay a lot of eggs.

Hmm. I don't think that would be a problem. And if it does get to be a problem, I guess we could always clip her wings, but I don't want to do that unless things get really bad. I know it doesn't hurt the duck if done right, but I just don't want to do it wrong...
Okay, so right now, it's either a flock of three WHs, or a flock of one WH, one Buff, and one KC.
I've gotten conflicting reports on Khaki Campbells as far as their temperament goes.
hu.gif

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom