The Duck Thread

Finally got our new duck pen pretty much done. Still need to add our larger gravity waterer, "porch" on front, and finish up our nesting boxes. I know they probably won't use them but a girl can hope! I've gotten one egg a day for the last week! Don't know who's laying them yet. Going to get 4 or 5 new hens tomorrow and get them in lock down. Hopefully in two weeks we'll finally be able to just enjoy them for a little bit lol.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Finally got our new duck pen pretty much done. Still need to add our larger gravity waterer, "porch" on front, and finish up our nesting boxes. I know they probably won't use them but a girl can hope! I've gotten one egg a day for the last week! Don't know who's laying them yet. Going to get 4 or 5 new hens tomorrow and get them in lock down. Hopefully in two weeks we'll finally be able to just enjoy them for a little bit lol.
[/URL]

clap.gif
That pen looks great! Bravo!

It's been awhile since I was on here but since this is my go-to site for advice, I'm here! I forgot how much I love reading all of the stories! I do need some advice or well inspiration...spring is approaching and I really want ducklings this year so I want to make my girls some type of nesting hut to keep the other ducks off the nest for one & hopefully keep the nest a bit cleaner this time! Last year I had 2 ducks trying to set on one nest & the drake trying to get a little booty he didn't have to chase too so the eggs got knocked out of the nest and a few got cracked open...plus with 2 of them on the same nest, the nest was never unattended for me to get in there and tidy it up so the eggs & nest got a little nasty! Plus my chickens and ducks & even my goat all sleep in the same coop so it's a little hectic first thing in the morning! To clarify, the goat has her own pen inside the coop so she doesn't run loose with the birds in there...the ducks have a quack shack that they sleep in inside the coop but they don't get locked inside it...they r free to run about the coop until I open the door in the morning for them to run free & the chicken sleep on the roost inside the coop & run about the coop too until the door is opened in the morning...then they all run free until bedtime (except the goat...she goes out on a super long leash during the day to graze! Anyways...I have no issues with their sleeping arrangements & all of my animals get along great! I've never had any issues with my drake trying to mate with my chickens either...it's a fairly large coop & they've all been raised around each other! If anybody has some ideas, I'd love to hear them! I have 3 female ducks & one drake, so I'm also wondering if I should build just one nesting hut or maybe 2...I don't want all of them nesting at the same time...just because I don't want my drake getting bored but I don't want 2 trying to nest together again either!

[/URL]
Looks GREAT!

Ew!!! Scary. I always run into them in the hot summer in the desert where I hike. At least they warn me…...
Yes, they do warn and I appreciate that, lol. You be careful!

Thanks everyone I'm pretty excited. My hubby is amazing and can pretty much build anything. We picked up 5 more ducks today. I seriously have a problem lol. But he's right there with me. We also picked out a goat. Going to set up place for him and pick up this week...

Thanks everyone I'm pretty excited. My hubby is amazing and can pretty much build anything. We picked up 5 more ducks today. I seriously have a problem lol. But he's right there with me. We also picked out a goat. Going to set up place for him and pick up this week...
The coop construction looks great. I don't know what additional securities you have around the property, but I want to make sure that you as well as anyone looking to this as an example in the future are aware: Chicken wire is great for keeping birds in, but not for keeping predators out. Many predators will rip right through chicken wire with their claws or teeth. 1/2" hardware cloth is recommended for smaller predators (fox/raccoon/coyote). I have seen it recommended that the hardware cloth either be sunk 1 foot into the ground, or laid around the pen as a 2 foot skirt in areas with digging predators. Also raccoons can figure out a simple bolt latch fairly quickly so if that is the only line of defense, it may not be adequate. For more information and maybe specifics for your area, I would browse through https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests.

I lost 2 ducks to predators early in our stewardship (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/883393/r-i-p-ebony-and-belle). It was devastating. Since then, we have been much tighter on security and have had no further incidences.

Gees, last weekend it was Botulism... this weekend RATTLESNAKE,
barnie.gif
Under the barn where I think 3 girls are nesting. It was the saddest thing, after we got the snake out... a mama came out carrying an egg
sad.png

Botulism update:
patient #1 is being discharged from sick bay today
wee.gif

patient #2 has regained use of one leg and some of the other
patient #3 never progressed to full paralysis and is still flying back and forth. She is limping on one.

I gave up on looking for patient #4. She either got better or disapeared.
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom