The Duck Thread

Hi guys I need help I am getting more ducks and wanting to know I am getting the option between khaki Campbell ducks or saxonys can someone help me
First let me say that I am partial to my Khaki Campbells so I may be a bit prejudiced. Khaki's tend to be a bit more nervous than other breeds but they are great egg layers and, if you are breeding, make pretty good mothers. Saxony's are a bit larger breed and are a pretty decent dual purpose duck. If you are planning on just females for eggs and not breeding I think the Khaki is a more attractive duck.

A few months back there was some talk about a black/calloused pad on the ducks foot... (I don't want to search through the months of posts to find it again to quote). Anyway our vet told us to try to get it off if we could but the other leg was injured and it bled really bad so we agreed to leave it.

update: the pad has gotten prolly an inch thick (jumbo pekin) and the black callus pretty much chipped off like a serous scab would (thin shell-like scab, not thick) it is messing with the mechanics of his foot now
hmm.png
. try your best to get it off if you can

He's pretty much been a hot mess for the past 6 months (he'll be 1 in april) and was finally getting to a good place but now (since we have a vacation planned in a few weeks) hes got a new issue. I really, really, really hate to cull him but he seem so miserable (i would be too having a pill or two put down my throat twice a day for the past 6 months). I'm hoping he will bounce back from this as well, it started with a splintered nail, then swollen ankle and leg, it has gotten some better but no clue as to what caused the swelling, hes on an antibiotic already so infection is unlikely. He's awfully clumsy and likes to run/fly down the hill to the pond which never really ends well, so maybe a rolled ankle? I've felt everything and nothing seems to be broken or even bother him in the leg but he is limping pretty bad and not using it much. unfortunately that means he has to stay in the pen all day instead of being out on the pond until we get home to carry him down and back up. the swelling has come down since the beginning of the week but he's also been on anti-inflammatory/pain med all week.

@EmilyP Have you been soaking the leg and foot in warm Epsom salt water daily? that can help a lot with swelling why not try that along with everything else your doing. 5 mins at end of the day right before bed so he is off his feet for the night.

I hope with all your doing you see marked improvement before you leave on vacation.

FYI do not let him drink the ES solution is is also a laxative.
Keep him from walking much but floating in water is a good idea it takes pressure off the leg while it's healing.

Back
Top Bottom