The Duck Thread

Oh cool! Sounds like fun.
smile.png
thanks
You're welcome!

Here are my girls again. Just moved them into our new place, they are loving all the grass!

Whoah... Looks like spring where you are! Your ducks are beautiful, as always..
big_smile.png

I have to wait 48 days for my ducks. This is going to be one long wait. My brother told me that I should say I gave up ducks for Lent!

Whoah... Looks like spring where you are! Your ducks are beautiful, as always.. :D
I have to wait 48 days for my ducks. This is going to be one long wait. My brother told me that I should say I gave up ducks for Lent! 

To funny! Thank you, Yes it's trying to be spring here on Vancouver Island in British Columbia but we have had a very abnormal winter, we never get snow here and it's been random on and off for 4 months ! Usually all we get it rain rain rain rain !

I'm glad we get snow where I am but lately there's been no snow, just cold. I like warm. It was 16* F yesterday!
I am literally counting down the days until we get ducks again... The horrible thing is that Metzer's sold out, so we were forced to get ducks April 24, which is one week after Spring Break...
barnie.gif

How big should a duck nesting box be? Also how many ducks could a 4 ft x 4ft x 5ft High Coop accommodate of standard breeds of ducks?

Also I know ducks lay about anywhere, but doesn't hurt to try!

Last edited:
How big should a duck nesting box be? Also how many ducks could a 4 ft x 4ft x 5ft High Coop accommodate of standard breeds of ducks?

Hi!

My Runners seem to prefer an open corner over a box. They have used boxes for a time, then abandoned them (and I did clean them out).

I attach 2'x2' plywood panels at a 90 degree angle to the wall of the shelter, making two corners. They build their own nests in there when they want to. Otherwise they lay their eggs in various places.

And I agree - if you want to try a box, do so. The nest areas my ducks build are about 15 to 18 inches in diameter, if that helps.

I would think (I have Runners and Buffs mostly) that in a 4x4, you could accommodate - comfortably - 4 standard size (thinking 8 pounds, like Swedish or Pekin) ducks in that space, provided they have plenty of outside runaround room.

Here in New England, where we can have extended very cold times, I like to have a roomy night shelter so the ducks don't get on each others' nerves.

I don't think they'll try to nest outside if you keep them in till 9, I only keep mine in till 8 (then again mine aren't Muscovies.) as long as you keep a couple fake eggs in their nests I don't see why they'd nest outside. You can try to move them if they do nest outside but I don't have any experience there. They should be fine if they nest inside, just make sure you mark the eggs she sits on otherwise some of the other ducks my try to lay some in there and you'll get a staged hatch (which is not a good thing) you may have some try to co-brood which you may want to separate, some people leave them some people seperate. Just make sure you fence her off close to hatch so the others can't bother her, make sure she's got food and water. If you can tell which duck laid which egg that's great, Muscovies take 35 days and Mallard derived breeds (just about any other breed) take 28 so it'd be best not to set them on the same day, you can set the Muscovies and then a week later add the other so they all hatch around the same time though. I think as long as you leave her some babies she'll be fine, I don't think you'd have to wait longer than a day or two to take them.

Our mallard eggs took closer to 35 days last fall. Our welsh is sitting again starting last week how long should I expect them to take to hatch?? She has welsh/Pekin and mallard/mallard eggs in her nest. She took over our mallards nest
1f62e.png

We have a large dog house and a XL rubbermade tub with a hole in the end instead of nesting boxes. Our welsh has a nest in a corner of the dog house, she previously had one in the tub but our Pekin drake started hanging out in there so she moved. Our mallard recently started a new nest in the corner of the pen, she had a nest in the yard at the base of a tree but we started keeping her in longer in the morning so we have the corner nest. Our welsh has occasionally laid eggs in their pool, point they will lay anywhere. And we have 2 mallards a welsh and a Pekin in a 20x10x6ft pen. We started at 10x10 but it just didn't seem to be big enough once you add in a pool. If they are able to free range all day less space is okay but even the couple hours in the morning before we let them out on the pond my mallards are flying circles around the pen. Also it helps to be able to easily walk around the pen to clean it because they will make a mess!

Our mallard eggs took closer to 35 days last fall. Our welsh is sitting again starting last week how long should I expect them to take to hatch?? She has welsh/Pekin and mallard/mallard eggs in her nest. She took over our mallards nest
1f62e.png

We have a large dog house and a XL rubbermade tub with a hole in the end instead of nesting boxes. Our welsh has a nest in a corner of the dog house, she previously had one in the tub but our Pekin drake started hanging out in there so she moved. Our mallard recently started a new nest in the corner of the pen, she had a nest in the yard at the base of a tree but we started keeping her in longer in the morning so we have the corner nest. Our welsh has occasionally laid eggs in their pool, point they will lay anywhere. And we have 2 mallards a welsh and a Pekin in a 20x10x6ft pen. We started at 10x10 but it just didn't seem to be big enough once you add in a pool. If they are able to free range all day less space is okay but even the couple hours in the morning before we let them out on the pond my mallards are flying circles around the pen. Also it helps to be able to easily walk around the pen to clean it because they will make a mess!

Interesting. I'd say about 28 days :confused:

Hi!

My Runners seem to prefer an open corner over a box. They have used boxes for a time, then abandoned them (and I did clean them out).

I attach 2'x2' plywood panels at a 90 degree angle to the wall of the shelter, making two corners. They build their own nests in there when they want to. Otherwise they lay their eggs in various places.

And I agree - if you want to try a box, do so. The nest areas my ducks build are about 15 to 18 inches in diameter, if that helps.

I would think (I have Runners and Buffs mostly) that in a 4x4, you could accommodate - comfortably - 4 standard size (thinking 8 pounds, like Swedish or Pekin) ducks in that space, provided they have plenty of outside runaround room.

Here in New England, where we can have extended very cold times, I like to have a roomy night shelter so the ducks don't get on each others' nerves.
X2
I also just use basically big tray filled with shavings
Quote:
Just a trick, ducks lay in the morning, so if you keep them inside the coop only about an hour after sunrise, you should be good! Also, if you put golf balls in your boxes, they are more likely to lay there

Last edited:
Quote:
Just a trick, ducks lay in the morning, so if you keep them inside the coop only about an hour after sunrise, you should be good! Also, if you put golf balls in your boxes, they are more likely to lay there
I actually have ceramic duck eggs in their nests. Hoping these lovely girls start laying soon! Thanks for the help and advice! Will defiantly use it!

Back
Top Bottom