The Duck Thread

Thought I had two Mallards but I guess when they guy we got house and flock from bought them they were supposed to be call ducks. They are very small?

There's a Rouen and then the two boys behind and front. Not a very good pic but I'll try to get a better one. Any thoughts?

Since there have been at least 2 dog incidents very recently in these circles and with spring coming on and many people considering starting a new flock / adding to their existing flock, I wanted to point out a survey that was put up in pests and predators back in 2009 with nearly 4300 respondents since: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261440/the-worst-predator Dog is #2 after Raccoon. We like to think of our pets all getting along together but the fact is that if a dog is not well trained to specifically protect fowl, they probably think they are chew toys by nature. Dogs are good protectors, but also predators. If the dogs don't actively protect, I personally wouldn't trust them unsupervised near my fowl. It is also worth noting that man is #5 on this list and they are very good at figuring out latches, locks and even electric fences.
Great post, Tony... and it is just a dogs natural instinct... without proper training specifically about waterfowl/poultry, it's really just a matter of time before an incident happens...

Since there have been at least 2 dog incidents very recently in these circles and with spring coming on and many people considering starting a new flock / adding to their existing flock, I wanted to point out a survey that was put up in pests and predators back in 2009 with nearly 4300 respondents since:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261440/the-worst-predator

Dog is #2 after Raccoon. We like to think of our pets all getting along together but the fact is that if a dog is not well trained to specifically protect fowl, they probably think they are chew toys by nature. Dogs are good protectors, but also predators. If the dogs don't actively protect, I personally wouldn't trust them unsupervised near my fowl. It is also worth noting that man is #5 on this list and they are very good at figuring out latches, locks and even electric fences.
I can't see the chart clearly for some reason. "man is #5 and they are very good at figuring out latches..." do you mean raccoons? or dogs?

We have two LGD's in training, it was all my fault. They are just barely 6 mos. I knew not to let them go unsupervised yet but they had been doing so well.

I can't see the chart clearly for some reason.  "man is #5 and they are very good at figuring out latches..."  do you mean raccoons? or dogs?

We have two LGD's in training, it was all my fault.  They are just barely 6 mos.   I knew not to let them go unsupervised yet but they had been doing so well.  

It's worst predators rated down from #1...

#1 is raccoon...
#2 is dog...
#3 is hawk...
#4 is fox...
And #5 is man... like people steal birds or hunt them if they are free ranged... it was a tongue in cheek joke about man being good at figuring out latches, etc...

It's worst predators rated down from #1...

#1 is raccoon...
#2 is dog...
#3 is hawk...
#4 is fox...
And #5 is man... like people steal birds or hunt them if they are free ranged... it was a tongue in cheek joke about man being good at figuring out latches, etc...
O gees, thanks, lol. I didn't know people stole birds until my last buyer was replacing some stolen ones. So sad.

O gees, thanks, lol. I didn't know people stole birds until my last buyer was replacing some stolen ones. So sad.

Yeah, you'd never think someone would actually steal a duck! It sounds so absurd... And the fact that there are people out there who actually would do it is very sad.
sad.png

O gees, thanks, lol. I didn't know people stole birds until my last buyer was replacing some stolen ones.  So sad.

​Yeah, you'd never think someone would actually steal a duck! It sounds so absurd... And the fact that there are people out there who actually would do it is very sad. :(  

I have nightmares about it.

Back
Top Bottom