The Duck Thread

It's worst predators rated down from #1...

#1 is raccoon...
#2 is dog...
#3 is hawk...
#4 is fox...
And #5 is man... like people steal birds or hunt them if they are free ranged... it was a tongue in cheek joke about man being good at figuring out latches, etc...
Thanks, @RavynFallen . You are absolutely right about the joke about people being good at latches, etc. I can't pretend to know why each person who chose man did so, but in addition to stealing birds, I would think small kids who don't know better handling them roughly, bigger kids / adults who just don't think anything of them and take pot-shots at them with B-B guns and people (perhaps neighbors) who are careless and leave gates open either letting predators in or birds out would count too. My main point was that both dogs and man are very high on this list and for dog to be above hawk, fox and coyote, you know dogs are a frequent problem with people on the forum so I just wanted to raise awareness since we just had two incidents that were dog related that brought it to my mind, and it is getting that time of the year when many new flocks begin so in turn, I wanted to raise awareness for anyone who is contemplating a new flock.

@Ren2014 , The picture I put up is a screen shot. You should be able to click on it and get the original picture clearly. If not, the link below it is where I got it from and the chart should format correctly for your device.

Got me another broody. She's never set before so I'll be watching her like a hawk. (She's not currently on any eggs.)

Thanks, @RavynFallen . You are absolutely right about the joke about people being good at latches, etc. I can't pretend to know why each person who chose man did so, but in addition to stealing birds, I would think small kids who don't know better handling them roughly, bigger kids / adults who just don't think anything of them and take pot-shots at them with B-B guns and people (perhaps neighbors) who are careless and leave gates open either letting predators in or birds out would count too. My main point was that both dogs and man are very high on this list and for dog to be above hawk, fox and coyote, you know dogs are a frequent problem with people on the forum so I just wanted to raise awareness since we just had two incidents that were dog related that brought it to my mind, and it is getting that time of the year when many new flocks begin so in turn, I wanted to raise awareness for anyone who is contemplating a new flock.

@Ren2014 , The picture I put up is a screen shot. You should be able to click on it and get the original picture clearly. If not, the link below it is where I got it from and the chart should format correctly for your device.
I have even seen in the paper where for some reason people are shooting COWS! So I would imagine they wouldn't think twice about shooting someone's ducks! Sad, so sad.
sad.png

It's worst predators rated down from #1...

#1 is raccoon...
#2 is dog...
#3 is hawk...
#4 is fox...
And #5 is man... like people steal birds or hunt them if they are free ranged... it was a tongue in cheek joke about man being good at figuring out latches, etc...
Well....I can say we have had all of the above, plus a bobcat. Right now we are battling a fox. He got one of my ducks about a week ago, then the next day we saw him on OUR PORCH!!! Couldn't believe it. So sorry we will have to kill it, it was so pretty! But it has to go, it's getting way too comfortable. As for the dogs, not mine but the neighbors dogs got some of my birds. So far my dogs won't even look at the birds. They don't like my reaction if I find them nosing around them.

Yeah, you'd never think someone would actually steal a duck! It sounds so absurd... And the fact that there are people out there who actually would do it is very sad.
sad.png
Definitely sad.

I tried all of that. Must be my system
idunno.gif
I have seen the chart before though. Thank you.

I have even seen in the paper where for some reason people are shooting COWS! So I would imagine they wouldn't think twice about shooting someone's ducks! Sad, so sad.
sad.png
ep.gif
Where??

Back
Top Bottom