The Duck Thread

Really? If my ducks found their water frozen, they wouldn't touch it until all the 'weirdness' was gone!
gig.gif

Cute picture!
They won't touch it while it's frozen over, but once the ice is broke up they love to eat all the ice pieces and swim in it.

We had a colder night last night... Nothing makes the ducks quite as happy as breaking the ice on their pool. Even if the water is
sickbyc.gif
(They are probably going to get their big pool this weekend
big_smile.png
.) Ice chunks are almost better than meal worms.

How cute..

Mine all love to eat ice and snow too.

They won't touch it while it's frozen over, but once the ice is broke up they love to eat all the ice pieces and swim in it.

That makes more sense
big_smile.png
Even then, though, we had to fish most of the big ice pieces out
roll.png
Guess we had scaredy ducks?

@Bills vs Beaks I want to see an ice skating duck!
gig.gif
Those would have been some cute pictures!

That makes more sense
big_smile.png
Even then, though, we had to fish most of the big ice pieces out
roll.png
Guess we had scaredy ducks?

@Bills vs Beaks I want to see an ice skating duck!
gig.gif
Those would have been some cute pictures!
Oh, I see the confusion now... "Nothing makes the ducks quite as happy as when we breaking the ice on their pool..." Before that, they just look at us like: "Mom, Dad, the water's hard..." (They don't care about the cold part.)

Oh, I see the confusion now... "Nothing makes the ducks quite as happy as when we breaking the ice on their pool..." Before that, they just look at us like: "Mom, Dad, the water's hard..." (They don't care about the cold part.)

Ha yeah! They didn't seem to care for ice, but they loved snow. I loved their little ducky footprints
big_smile.png

Sorry didn't explain well. I had read not to let a new duckling drink till they got sick right after shipping. That you should do 10 min with a 15 min break for the first hour or so but I couldn't remember how long. All of my new ducklings died. As well as 18 chicks. Pretty sure I got a bad bag of feed. Of course I opened it right before they got here. Getting a new shipment next week of the East Indie ducks. Today was awful.

I am not sure what you are saying here...not to let them drink till they get sick?

As I took each duckling out of their transport box, I dipped their bill in a cup of lukewarm water. Their waterer was filled with room temperature water and they were fine.

I am not sure what you are saying here...not to let them drink till they get sick?

As I took each duckling out of their transport box, I dipped their bill in a cup of lukewarm water. Their waterer was filled with room temperature water and they were fine.
I did the same with all of mine, (except I dunked 'em like a happy bird in their actual waterer) but didn't want to say anything in case I was just lucky and none of mine over drank. Also there might be rules like that for newly hatched vs shipped 3-day olds, I don't know.
hu.gif

The instructions from the hatchery said to dip their bills into their water as you take them out of their carrier right after you get them. I did so and mine were fine. They knew where they were supposed to get their water.

Okay then I won't spend so much time worrying about it when they get here. I believe the instructions from Ideal were. Dip beaks in water as you put them in brooder. Let them have water for 10 min then remove water for 15 min. Repeat twice to make sure they don't drink to much to fast after shipping. But if no one has heard it before its probably not as big of a deal as I thought. First time getting ducklings so I wasn't sure. Got water over some mesh over a container to catch water and new non poisonous non medicated 24% feed. And waterer that they can clean nostrils with but not drowned in. Anything I'm missing? 90° like chicks correct. Here are the babies before they died.

Is that the normal size for ducklings or are they smaller? Have Muscovy coming and curious if they will be the same size or bigger. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom