The Duck Thread

I'd go with a Buff / Pekin cross. Assuming the same age, if that's a Buff duck, its bill is very orange and it is huge, if its Pekin, it is very Buff colored.

Here are some pics of a Buff and a Pekin around that age together:

You can see the Pekin is much bigger than the Buff and the Buff has a purple tint to its bill.

I'd go with a Buff / Pekin cross. Assuming the same age, if that's a Buff duck, its bill is very orange and it is huge, if its Pekin, it is very Buff colored.

Here are some pics of a Buff and a Pekin around that age together:

You can see the Pekin is much bigger than the Buff and the Buff has a purple tint to its bill.
You should enter the flapper contest!

Thanks. I probably saw easter-hatch-along and skimmed right by... I'm on the road, so I posted the one you liked and another recent repost. (I really don't want the prize - we are full up, not set up for chickens and I don't have the nerve for a hatch, that's why I let Metzers do it for me.. LOL) But it's fun to put the pics up
big_smile.png

Great pictures, thanks for posting them. If you win you could gift the prize to someone maybe?
Yup, I would just pass them down the line (give them to #2) though I am sure someone will get a much better picture. I could have gotten some way better ones if standing wasn't a requirement. I have some super flapper pics from the big pool. Such as:

or

This one I took, but it isn't my bird nor is it domestic poultry. It is a little chinstrap penguin named Peter Pan at SeaWorld in San Diego:

I did consider this picture of my boys, but the other picture shows of Kaine's speculum feathers so well.

I think your plan would work. Cull the aggressive drake and get your lone drake at least 2-4 females. Try craigslist, feed stores check for poultry swaps in your area.

@Pharmakultur Welcome to BYC

Thank you so much for your input, I've only had ducks since the beginning of last fall, so I feel like I'm still in the learning curve.. I think I'll check out some of the local vendors at the Farmers Market.. I had a bad experience with sick/wormy chickens that I got on Craigslist...
th.gif
(I think we're outgrowing our urban homestead!! Mixed feelings)

We put our boy in time outs when he started a fight. Sounds weird but it actually worked. He hated being penned watching the other ducks play. I'd take him out and as soon as I saw aggression pen him again. Took a few days but he finally stopped.
gig.gif
What a good idea!! I don't know that I have a few days to be able to do it consistently though...
sad.png
I was thinking of just separating them through a poultry net, but I can just see them getting all wrapped up and it ending VERY badly for one or both of them..
hit.gif
Going to search for some hens!

Back
Top Bottom