The Duck Thread

My little Mallard girl Amarra litteraly is out smarting me. I can't figure out where she and her eggs hide during half the day. Im super worried something will get her. Anyone have a top 10 list or something for where sassy ducks hide eggs. We have woods, creek, field, tall grass, brush, pond areas for her to choose from all about the same distance away.

We have 8 'lings!!!! She still has two eggs under her that I'm unsure about with candling.

Congrats! They are adorable!

My little Mallard girl Amarra litteraly is out smarting me. I can't figure out where she and her eggs hide during half the day. Im super worried something will get her. Anyone have a top 10 list or something for where sassy ducks hide eggs. We have woods, creek, field, tall grass, brush, pond areas for her to choose from all about the same distance away.

Mine prefer dirt and grass.

Omg I waited an hour to let them out today and then just watched hershe just ran over the road to other side! Had dogs with so I couldn't chase. They normally follow creek under it. She is a good flyer Im not sure why she'd run. Not sure what to do.

ducks only lay in the Spring around April-June.
if you want to incubate eggs it will take around 28 days unless you have a Muscovy which takes 32 days.

My ducks lay year round, snow, rain, hot weather.... doesn't matter to them.

Also yes, mallard-derived ducks take 28 days, Muscovy can take up to 35-37 days,

My ducks lay year round but we also live in a pretty warm climate. I would assume most ducks would lay through october or so depending on climate again. We hatched ducklings right before thanksgiving last year!

My duck hatched a brood in June last year, the young females started laying in February this year. In the snow. lol

I also wanted to ask, is it okay or normal if a duck skips a day while laying? I've seen her lay three days in a row, skip one day, then lay the next week or so. I'm wondering if this is unhealthy or abnormal. I have a Saxony duck, and am scared for her to do this. Is it okay, or could something be wrong? Can I prevent this for ever happening to her?
barnie.gif

They occasionally skip days, no big deal. Mine would lay in one area of the run for a week or so, then skip a day of laying, then lay somewhere else the following week, skip a day, move somewhere else!
big_smile.png

My ducks lay year round, snow, rain, hot weather.... doesn't matter to them.

Also yes, mallard-derived ducks take 28 days, Muscovy can take up to 35-37 days,

My duck hatched a brood in June last year, the young females started laying in February this year.  In the snow.  lol

They occasionally skip days, no big deal.  Mine would lay in one area of the run for a week or so, then skip a day of laying, then lay somewhere else the following week, skip a day, move somewhere else!  :D

X2 though mine slacked off when it got super hot in August and they were also molting but they've been laying steadily since the beginning of November now.

Omg I waited an hour to let them out today and then just watched hershe just ran over the road to other side! Had dogs with so I couldn't chase. They normally follow creek under it. She is a good flyer Im not sure why she'd run. Not sure what to do.
Fencing that should deter them from going across the road and getting smashed in the process.

We plan on fencing as soon as weather gets better. Did she start hiding them because she's going broody? Always laid in coop every day till this week. I'd love to have her hatch them but not out there. Other than fence I'm not sure what to do right now.

Maybe follow her next time and see where the nest is and get rid of it. About the only way to put a stop to it. And then put up fence when weather gets better. When I first got Muscovy's way back in 2004 I had to crawl under things to get to mine because leaving them out all night isn't even a thought here. So I put large rocks and hardware wire up where they couldn't crawl under, Now since they are fenced in there is no where to hide and they just lay in their houses. Sure makes it alot nicer. Amazing some of the places these girls can get under if they have a mind to. lol

Back
Top Bottom