The Duck Thread

Finally got confirmation email that the babies got a heat pack and gro gel or whatever you call it plus extra chicks for warmth before they left. Weathers okay till Friday and they should be here well before that. I hope tomorrow goes well because I'm definitely not trying again.

Yeah normally 9 930 here to get them to lay first. This little girl is determined to wait. I waited till 1030 thinking shed have laid already but nope. Should have seen her running when I opened door though. Looked like someone that has to pee holding it four 4 hours then running to bathroom lol. I've never seen a duck run that fast. I'm guessing she was thinking "I have to lay this egg now!". Had to work this morning and she didnt go before I left but I'll follow tomorrow. She did look both ways before she crossed anyway. Going to give me a heart attack.

:lau The image of a duck waddling across the street with legs crossed going, "I can't hold it!" Is just cracking me up!

Wish there was a goose thread. Not by breed just a generic goose thread for everyone like this thread is for ducks lol.

There's a Goose forum in Other Backyard Poultry. I don't let myself go there because the desire to get more duckies is already too strong. I'm not sure I could handle needing geese too. Not until we are on our farm at least.

what type of duck is this?

Hello. I'm new to this site. We had a duck last year that laid eggs next to our front porch and then abandoned them. We know this because my dad found the rotten eggs. She came back this year and we were very careful to leave her alone. We hadn't seen her all day and my mom peeked and noticed the eggs were broken. One of them was still intact. It's currently in an incubator with an auto turner. It's kind of dirty though and I was wondering if I should try to gently wash it with some water? I have no idea if it's alive or not but I want to try. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have never done this before. :) tia

When a duck lays an egg there is a protective layer called the "bloom" on it that is suppose to help protect it from bacteria. So, unless it is caked with poo, don't wash it or you lose that.
Was the mother duck sitting on the eggs? If not, development of the duckling doesn't begin until you incubate it. So, you can try candling but you might not see anything because you are too early. If she wasnt yet sitting on them and the egg looks just like an unfertilized one when candled, give it at least a week in the incubator and candle it again.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom