The Duck Thread

okay a have a question for you duck owners, i hope to get a few blue Swedish ducklings in the coming week, and hoping for them to be young, but the question is how old can they be for there first swim (i know it takes like 8 weeks before they can be left un-supervised in the water) but how old is a good time to put them in water for a supervised swim. (and i know chicken math planned on getting 3 geese and 3 ducks now its going to be more :) )

okay a have a question for you duck owners, i hope to get a few blue Swedish ducklings in the coming week, and hoping for them to be young, but the question is how old can they be for there first swim (i know it takes like 8 weeks before they can be left un-supervised in the water) but how old is a good time to put them in water for a supervised swim. (and i know chicken math planned on getting 3 geese and 3 ducks now its going to be more :) )
it caught you didn't it
wink.png

Even very young ducklings can have a first swim if supervised and they are in nice warm water and taken out a patted dry then put right under the heat lamp[maybe 5 mins to start]. When I say young I mean a few days old. It will get them started on preening and working on their oil gland.

Last edited:
it caught you didn't it
wink.png

Even very young ducklings can have a first swim if supervised and they are in nice warm water and taken out a patted dry then put right under the heat lamp[maybe 5 mins to start]. When I say young I mean a few days old. It will get them started on preening and working on their oil gland.
ya i really enjoy my fowl :)

and thank you i plan on making pets out of the ducks and plan on giving them supervised swims when they are the right age.

Ive called everyone. Either they are still sitting in Texas or Pittsburgh. Either way I'm not getting them till probably Mon which im sire will be to late

I agree, Monday is a stretch. I am so sorry. I don't know how this can happen. Someone has to make the decision this goes on the truck, this doesn't fit. Someone's babies should always get the priority.
:hugs

Thanks again everyone. I'm stuck at work dealing with tons of people. Trying to call anyone that can help in between rushes. I honestly don't think it ever left Texas. I just hate the thought of having to go pick up a quiet box of chicks on Monday if it even comes Monday. I don't understand how they could just let them sit and slowly die somewhere.

Thanks again everyone. I'm stuck at work dealing with tons of people. Trying to call anyone that can help in between rushes. I honestly don't think it ever left Texas. I just hate the thought of having to go pick up a quiet box of chicks on Monday if it even comes Monday. I don't understand how they could just let them sit and slowly die somewhere.
:hugs

The US Post Office really messed Texas up. The reduced the number of sorting centers and now send stuff all over the place. I used to be able to order from Ideal (I live in Coleman about 380 miles away). I could order before 5 p.m. one day that they would be at my local post office the next morning (Cameron to Abilene to Coleman). Since they shut down so many sorting centers, including Abilene, They now go from Cameron to Houston to San Antonio to either Abilene or Brownwood then to Coleman which takes up to 4 days.

I have pretty much decided to not order any birds again simply because of the mess the postal service is in.

I recently got a deal mallard to go wth my hen mallard he is new so do you think that I could lightly trim his wings so he can't fly way off but can still fly to the pond away from the dog

Maybe keep the dog away?

X2

Your ducks won't last long if you have a dog that wants them especially if you clip wings enough they  can't fly away Not sure there is a half way clip.

X2

No halway clip... it either is or isn't... you *could* clip one wing, but that would mean your ducks would just make predictable circles right back into your dogs mouth... either pen up the ducks securely or keep the dog secured, and train him... anything else is asking for a bad ending... :(

One of my khaki eggs it's beak is out and opening and closing a lot but it has bubbles coming from its mouth? Not quite foaming but around those lines. Is that normal? Also when it made the hole abit bigger this liquid came out
1f615.png
new duck hatcher here so I have no idea if this is good or bad!

Not good... clear away as much of the goo as possible... that's from too high of humidity/not enough moisture loss during incubation...

Sorry, everyone, my tags aren't working correctly... :/

Back
Top Bottom