The Duck Thread

The k
Have you tried Johnson's waterfowl or metzers both carry lots of breeds. You can also go on efowl and search they are kinda like MPC but show ya what's available at different hatcheries so you can order thru them or directly from hatchery.

I'll definitely check it out. Guessing I'll just have to give up on east Indies for a bit. I can try to find and fork out more money for an adult pair but honestly I only really want birds I've had from babies now that I know the difference. I'll still take in ones that need a home like I have before but I'd like the majority to be hand raised by me I think.

The k
I'll definitely check it out. Guessing I'll just have to give up on east Indies for a bit. I can try to find and fork out more money for an adult pair but honestly I only really want birds I've had from babies now that I know the difference. I'll still take in ones that need a home like I have before but I'd like the majority to be hand raised by me I think.
I know of a few places that do carry them but most are outta stock and have waiting list. I believe Stromberg's has hatching eggs if you're interested in that route.

Hey guys! When I let my male Saxony duck out for a free range run, I noticed one of his eyes seemed a bit swollen. I picked him up and noticed it was somewhat foamy at times, and a little red. I gently pressed around it, and it seemed to bother him greatly, and his eyes watered up when I softly probed it. Can anyone help me? Is it swollen? If so, what is the cause, and what should I do? Here is a pic:

Here is what the other side of his eye looks like. It is much more flat, and seems to have no inflammation.(sorry for the blurriness)

Thank you all and please let me know what I should do.

The k

I just saw a bunch of east indie duckling hatching eggs on eBay. They looked to be quality. Very pretty and affordable. 30 dollars for 12 eggs I believe. Might be an option.

Hey guys! When I let my male Saxony duck out for a free range run, I noticed one of his eyes seemed a bit swollen. I picked him up and noticed it was somewhat foamy at times, and a little red. I gently pressed around it, and it seemed to bother him greatly, and his eyes watered up when I softly probed it. Can anyone help me? Is it swollen? If so, what is the cause, and what should I do? Here is a pic:

Here is what the other side of his eye looks like. It is much more flat, and seems to have no inflammation.(sorry for the blurriness)

@casportpony thoughts???

Could be sinus but till we hear from @casportpony put some ACV into their drinking bucket 1 Tab per gallon and let him clean his face real good,. At the rate the ACV is mixed with the gal of water it will not sting and can help. He could also have something in there like dust so making sure he is head washing is important.
@Ducklover3449 if it doesn't clear up in a few days using the ACV you can got to a feed store and get Terramycin eye ointment And start using it. Look for any sign of drainage coming from nares also rough breathing. More than likely his eye is just irritated from something and the ACV will clear it up.

Last edited:
You mean like mucus?  How is your lil one acting other wise?  Might have just taken in too much. 

Yeah it's like mucus. He's fine still eat and play normally and eat a lot :) He did it whenever i pick him up after he finish his meal, i was to take him into the brooder (maybe i put too much food for him, if there's still a bit left and they havent finished i'll show the food can in front of their face to get them eat all ... maybe he spits out 3 times when i start doing that :( weird that the Appleyard one dont spit)
Btw can i use bath sand for hamster to bath my ducklings or can i replace it for hay?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom