The Duck Thread

I dont have puppy pads i just have hamster pads which is sand is it ok?
Sorry but what is large chunk shaving?
@Dennyis we sometimes forget we're talking to members from other countries which don't have the same supplies as us. Some use sand as bedding and as long as they aren't eating it, it is probably okay. large chunk bedding is what they sell here in the USA as horse bedding it is too big for ducklings to eat. Main thing is you need to find a way to get them into something where they have access to food and water when they want it. Especially during the day. Are they going to be moved outside soon? What will they be in then? what temps are you having in Vietnam now? We're concerned about your Appleyard that is underweight ducklings need alot of calories to stay healthy and grow like they should. Can you get feed that is for young poultry?

@Dennyis
   we sometimes forget we're talking to members from other countries which don't have the same supplies as us.  Some use sand as bedding and as long as they aren't eating it, it is probably okay. large chunk bedding is what they sell here in the USA as horse bedding it is too big for ducklings to eat.  Main thing is you need to find a way to get them into something where they have access to food and water when they want it.  Especially during the day.  Are they going to be moved outside soon?  What will they be in then? what temps are you having in Vietnam now? We're concerned about your Appleyard that is underweight ducklings need alot of calories to stay healthy and grow like they should. Can you get feed that is for young poultry? 

It's 35 Celsius degree in Viet Nam. They are just 10 days old so they cant move out and there's no such things as yard in a house in VN but I can let them walk in our neighborhood.
The only way to get them access to food 24/7 is in my seldom used toilet (my family has 2 toilet) but that toilet is where my family do the laundry so sometimes its kinda wet and dirty especially behind the toilet。 My apple yard neck is losing slot fur today !!! He was better yesterday but tonight when I head home from school I see the losing fur part is getting larger but I dont see the Mallard bite him ....

It's 35 Celsius degree in Viet Nam. They are just 10 days old so they cant move out and there's no such things as yard in a house in VN but I can let them walk in our neighborhood.
The only way to get them access to food 24/7 is in my seldom used toilet (my family has 2 toilet) but that toilet is where my family do the laundry so sometimes its kinda wet and dirty especially behind the toilet。 My apple yard neck is losing slot fur today !!! He was better yesterday but tonight when I head home from school I see the losing fur part is getting larger but I dont see the Mallard bite him ....
95* I'd say that is sure warm enough, your temps are good for keeping ducklings warm. So what your saying is your ducklings will be inside your house all the time except when you walk them in your neighborhood. Which might not be such a good thing if dogs are roaming most dogs would kill a duck if given the chance.
Are your ducklings your pets?

I wish I could help you on your Appleyard losing his down but other than nutrition or the Mallard pulling it out I don't know. Are you feeding them food for poultry? They do lose down in places though so it could be normal also. Sit for a while and watch your ducklings too see if maybe the Mallard is chewing on him. It's all normal behavior and then again your Mallard might be hungry too.

Wanted to ask you, other people in your neighborhood who keep ducks how do they keep them? Just wondering if maybe you can get some ideas from others.

95*  I'd say that is sure warm enough, your temps are good for keeping ducklings warm.  So what your saying is your ducklings will be inside your house all the time except when you walk them in your neighborhood. Which might not be such a good thing if dogs are roaming most dogs would kill a duck if given the chance. 
Are your ducklings your pets? 

I wish I could help you on your Appleyard losing his down but other than nutrition or the Mallard pulling it out I don't know.  Are you feeding them food for poultry? They do lose down in places though so it could be normal also. Sit for a while and watch your ducklings too see if maybe the Mallard is chewing on him. It's all normal behavior and then again your Mallard might be hungry too.

Wanted to ask you, other people in your neighborhood who keep ducks how do they keep them?  Just wondering if maybe you can get some ideas from others.

Thank you for your reply. Yes those ducklings ảre my pet, the Appleyard is which i hatched it and the Mallard i bought for him.
My neighborhood is more likely to raise rooster :( but sometimes i see hen too
I let my duck walk near my house and they often follow my feet so dont worry about dogs cus my neighborhood seldom has dogs around :)
i just watch them together and my Appleyard tends to peak the Mallard and he does that since when i got Mallard home for companion =))
I give them food and water 24/7 in their box now
About the fur i just see it growing out :O and the neck is full of fur, just 1 hours away and he gets his fur grow, thats amazing

Thank you for your reply. Yes those ducklings ảre my pet, the Appleyard is which i hatched it and the Mallard i bought for him.
My neighborhood is more likely to raise rooster
sad.png
but sometimes i see hen too
I let my duck walk near my house and they often follow my feet so dont worry about dogs cus my neighborhood seldom has dogs around
smile.png

i just watch them together and my Appleyard tends to peak the Mallard and he does that since when i got Mallard home for companion =))
I give them food and water 24/7 in their box now
About the fur i just see it growing out :O and the neck is full of fur, just 1 hours away and he gets his fur grow, thats amazing
Well sounds great I wish you much enjoyment of your ducklings, they sure bring much enjoyment and work too but well worth it. They do things very fast growing out their feathers and their bodies. lol

Last edited:
Could anyone give me some advice? My Welsh Harlequin has bumblefoot. :(  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1166299/my-duck-has-bumblefoot

Sometimes you have to soak the foot and loosen the scab to get infection out, but before doing that here is a site with treatment and procedures to remove scab if necessary.
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html?m=1
I have had good success with soaks to soften scab and anti biotic ointment. How long have you been doing soaks? Treatment can take weeks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom