The Duck Thread

When do I stop turning call eggs? I've got ages to go but I've read different things and some say they can hatch on day 26 so I don't want to get anything wrong.

26 is "normal" hatch date for Calls. I think I stopped turning mine on day 23ish, but learycow and Ravyn are much more experienced than me.

Yahoo my first home grown baby duckling. Hiw long before she/he needs food and water. Hatched 100% 10minutes ago

Shall I lockdown on the 23rd day then? Good job I researched it I would of had a big surprise lol

Check the air cells on day 23, if they look good and you see some drawdown starting and/or the egg looks full all the way up to the air cell, you can do it any time. Or you can wait for an internal pip (usually day 24-25). Depends on how often you check them. Once they internally pip though, humidity needs to be up there.

Yahoo my first home grown baby duckling. Hiw long before she/he needs food and water. Hatched 100% 10minutes ago

Very cute! Do you have more waiting to hatch? I usually remove them from the incubator anytime after about an hour, when there's a break in the action, and only remove ones that are moving around well. They may not start to eat/drink right away, but some do.

Some people prefer to leave them in the incubator overnight or 24 hours etc and will say they can make it for a couple days without feed and water. Well I can survive without it too, but I prefer not to! Lol

Check the air cells on day 23, if they look good and you see some drawdown starting and/or the egg looks full all the way up to the air cell, you can do it any time. Or you can wait for an internal pip (usually day 24-25). Depends on how often you check them. Once they internally pip though, humidity needs to be up there.
Very cute! Do you have more waiting to hatch? I usually remove them from the incubator anytime after about an hour, when there's a break in the action, and only remove ones that are moving around well. They may not start to eat/drink right away, but some do.

Some people prefer to leave them in the incubator overnight or 24 hours etc and will say they can make it for a couple days without feed and water. Well I can survive without it too, but I prefer not to! Lol

This was done by mommy duck. I brought the egg in two days ago ir was chipping the shell. We have cats dogs and with the weather warming up snake and everything else. Thought it would be best to finish the hatch in side. Im hoping for more innafew days.

The egg in the lower right corner of picture i dropped and broke it. I had to check to see if it was alive before i try to fix my mistake. So i took off the shell at the air pocket end and it was still alive. So i wrapped it up in plastic wrap and tap. That was two days go. It's doing great. Almost has poked a hole in the air pocket. The membrane - the white cover over the duckling is 100%in tacked.
1f606.png

Last edited:
Moved 11 of 11 eggs to the hatcher tray this morning from the incubator tray. Four had already internally pipped! Due date is the 20th. I'm thinking they will hatch early. The hatching tray is located on the bottom of the cabinet incubator and is next to the water tray. The hatcher tray has three sections for chicks and one section for ducks.

Back
Top Bottom