The Duck Thread

How mellow are my ducks? Well Kaine was chasing Tevye, so he got a time out. That involves me sitting in a chair with him standing on my leg for 10-15 minutes and me scratching his chest which he absolutely hates. He stands perfectly calm throughout his "punishment". Allie was lying down in front of the chair when I came carrying Kaine and was completely OK with my straddling her so that I could sit down right above her head. Yvonne was with me in the yard at the time and we had a laugh at how mellow Allie was. Pocahontas came over and pecked at my foot to see if I might give her a treat, then just to make it all ridiculous, I picked up my other foot and rested it on Allie's back (of course I didn't put any weight down on her.) Well everybody stayed like that long enough for Yvonne to get out her phone, select the camera and take a picture. Afterward I put my foot back down on the other side of Allie and Kaine served out his sentence. I let go of him and he flew off my leg to the ground. Allie was still there after I got up (yes she can walk.)

I think my ducks trust me - I shall try to deserve that trust every day
big_smile.png

How mellow are my ducks? Well Kaine was chasing Tevye, so he got a time out. That involves me sitting in a chair with him standing on my leg for 10-15 minutes and me scratching his chest which he absolutely hates. He stands perfectly calm throughout his "punishment". Allie was lying down in front of the chair when I came carrying Kaine and was completely OK with my straddling her so that I could sit down right above her head. Yvonne was with me in the yard at the time and we had a laugh at how mellow Allie was. Pocahontas came over and pecked at my foot to see if I might give her a treat, then just to make it all ridiculous, I picked up my other foot and rested it on Allie's back (of course I didn't put any weight down on her.) Well everybody stayed like that long enough for Yvonne to get out her phone, select the camera and take a picture. Afterward I put my foot back down on the other side of Allie and Kaine served out his sentence. I let go of him and he flew off my leg to the ground. Allie was still there after I got up (yes she can walk.)

I think my ducks trust me - I shall try to deserve that trust every day
big_smile.png
Your yard looks like mine, a duck exploded!!! LOL

I dont have puppy pads i just have hamster pads which is sand is it ok?
Sorry but what is large chunk shaving?
Sorry, I didn't realize that you were in Viet Nam and don't have the same supplies that we can get.

Don't know about the sand, I don't know if it will hurt them. The shavings come in large and small chunk at Tractor supply. The small one's they eat but the larger ones (about the size of a nickle) they leave alone. Don't use cedar, it is bad for them.
Good luck!
M

Last edited:
I have a little flock of 4 hens. I have noticed that 2 of the hens have skin showing on the back of their neck. I am supposing from the other hens mounting them for dominance. One is a large area about 2 inches long, the other is only about the size of a quarter. The feathers are missing but there isn't any blood or skinned looking skin. The 2 that have the feathers missing are the younger ones in the group. I have 2 that are 2 years old, and 2 that are about a year.

My question...if I put the two that are doing the most mounting in "time out" what will that accomplish? I am afraid they will just turn and mount each other OR I am afraid that we will have a hierarchy scramble when I let them back together and it will be worse. Everyone SEEMS happy, no pecking, just a lot of "mating". We get an egg a day from each of the girls.
Thanks in advance.

[Video]
here is a little better video of my Campbell duck, trying to determine if it's a male or female duck. It is 5-6 weeks old and just started changing it's quack

Last edited:
Sometimes you have to soak the foot and loosen the scab to get infection out, but before doing that here is a site with treatment and procedures to remove scab if necessary.
http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/03/bumblefoot.html?m=1
I have had good success with soaks to soften scab and anti biotic ointment. How long have you been doing soaks? Treatment can take weeks
Okay. Thanks! We've been doing the soaks just a little over a week, but her bumble seems pretty large so I wasn't sure if just soaks and iodine would cure it.

How mellow are my ducks? Well Kaine was chasing Tevye, so he got a time out. That involves me sitting in a chair with him standing on my leg for 10-15 minutes and me scratching his chest which he absolutely hates. He stands perfectly calm throughout his "punishment". Allie was lying down in front of the chair when I came carrying Kaine and was completely OK with my straddling her so that I could sit down right above her head. Yvonne was with me in the yard at the time and we had a laugh at how mellow Allie was. Pocahontas came over and pecked at my foot to see if I might give her a treat, then just to make it all ridiculous, I picked up my other foot and rested it on Allie's back (of course I didn't put any weight down on her.) Well everybody stayed like that long enough for Yvonne to get out her phone, select the camera and take a picture. Afterward I put my foot back down on the other side of Allie and Kaine served out his sentence. I let go of him and he flew off my leg to the ground. Allie was still there after I got up (yes she can walk.) I think my ducks trust me - I shall try to deserve that trust every day :D .
Mine never let me get that close. 1' is about as close as they like me to be.

Last edited:

Okay here is the part that my Appleyard lost his fur. I do see pin feather though at his tail but the neck isnt much
If i let the food in the brooder they will mess up and brooder get wet, im saving to buy them a pet brooder because in my place there arent any stuff to make a brooder (i have to uses boxes :() and the Mallard one always eat like starving eventho i put the food 24/24 so the Appleyard cannot eat much ...

Ducklings need food with water all day every day. The duckling may be reaching through the bars of a cage.

Please read and follow the guidelines in the Sticky of Raising Ducklings. It is in the Stickies for Duck Forum. See the blue link at the top of the Duck Forum index.

Back
Top Bottom