The Duck Thread

You need to be right there to supervise even a 3 week old test the water to make sure it's still warm once it starts getting cool take her out. Unless she acts tired from all that diving and bathing then take her out before. Usually at 3 weeks 10-15 mins is good time. As long as water hasn't cool down. They can get water logged pretty quick till they get their feathers.
goodpost.gif
X2!

hello every one i have a quick question,

i have two Swedish ducklings about 2 weeks old and have not given them any niacin or brewers yeast (have not been able to get to my local city) but how much do i give them and which way in there water or in there food. thanks as am going in tomorrow to get some.

hello every one i have a quick question,

i have two Swedish ducklings about 2 weeks old and have not given them any niacin or brewers yeast (have not been able to get to my local city) but how much do i give them and which way in there water or in there food. thanks as am going in tomorrow to get some.

It is critical that they get Niacin added to their diet as soon as possible. You can do a search (top of page is search bar) for the Niacin dosage. I used brewers yeast and that's 1 tablespoon per cup of food.

Like all wild birds, they pose some risk of disease to your flock so by no means should the be encouraged.  My ducklings were never outside unattended until they were fully feathered, and even then until they were accepted into the flock.  In my experience magpies will eat eggs and if you let them they will show up in greater and greater numbers, so it is better to keep they area where the ducks overnight fairly magpie proof and to collect "yard" eggs frequently so the magpies aren't frequently successful with the eggs.  (The same is true for skunks).  I have never had a magpie pose a direct threat to any of my ducks and sometimes they chase off hawks so I consider them fairly duck neutral.  I think they are the same as ravens as far as ducks are concerned.  If you have to leave ducklings outdoors unattended, I would do it in a completely enclosed (including top) run because everything in nature thinks they are snacks.  Once they hit 8 weeks or so (fully feathered), I wouldn't worry about direct attacks from magpies unless you have bantam ducks.  If you do have problems with excessive magpies, than as you said, they are very intelligent.  If you kill one (or find a dead one) and hang it from a tree or some other prominent place in the center of the area you want them to avoid, they will get the message (or so I have been told by other farmers who have other issues with them - eating grain and such).

Okay, thank you for replying. They will be in the house for at least 8 weeks, until they are fully feathered. They will never be alone outside or unattended as ducklings & goslings. We are building a very predator proof house with coop & a very large run that will also be predator proof. They will only be in their large run when I am at work or not home. When I am home they will have free range. Thank you for the responses! I don't mind the magpies, but if they attempt to cause harm to my flock I will Def use the dead bird method hanging from a tree. My dog is a super freak about flying birds, so she will be a good watch. She is also very gentle and good with small animals. Ferrets, kittens, and chickens. So she won't be a threat to my flock.
1f619.png

Back
Top Bottom