The Duck Thread

Hello, duck people! I have had chickens for a while, but we became duck people this morning too when I picked up 10 welsh harlequin ducklings with 2 golden cascade packing peanuts at the post office this morning! I've been lurking for a while, but thought I should introduce myself since we're official now! I'm so excited! I have a bunch of better pics on my good camera, but this will have to do for now.
Welcome:) The ducklings are so cute. I love WHs.

Hey, WARNING: I'm a newbie when it comes to ducks, and i got a few questions, i figure this is a good place to ask them. First, let me explain our situation.

My little sister who is almost 10, recently set her heart on ducks. I know how it feels to want a pet very badly. I had to wait 3 years to convince my dad to let me get pygmy goats. 2yrs to get a guinea pig. I thought the more i knew about ducks the easier i could help persuade my dad to let her get some ducks, preferably before she turns 13...  (this would not be her firs experience with taking care of a life. She has gerbils who are healthy and happy)     ..............So here are my questions:

I read if you don't have a pond, (which we Do Not) you can burry a kitty pool to make it ground level, and the ducks love it. Is this cruel to the animal to only have a small swimming area?
2nd, I don't hear anything about worrying about the ducks flying away. Would you have to "clip" their wings or something? I don't know much about clipping a duck's wings, except what i remember about that movie that i saw when i was like 9 where the girl takes care of the ducks and learns to fly a plane, then takes them south, or something like that.
3rd, She is 9 so she doesn't exactly make income,  What are the expenses of owning two ducks? ... Also, i want to make it clear the ducks wouldn't starve if my sister ran out of money. She does save money, and if she did run out, I'd help her out. I never spend money on anything other than my pets, ( or the occasional book) so she'd be backed up. 
Ooo.... and, Do you have to buy like frozen fish? or does all that protein come in their pellets?
Whats a good pet breed? Anyway, if you can answer any of these questions or have any other info i should know, let me know! Thanks!

-also, forgot to mention, she'd be getting them when their chicks, so if you have any useful info i should know about temperatures/Chick pellets/pricing/housing, Anything, Let me know :3

No it is not cruel to only have a small swimming area. You do want to have one though :)
If you get heavier breeds like khaki Campbell, Pekin, and..... There are more but I don't remember at the moment :lol: I'm not sure about clipping wings.
I'm not sure. I have two ducklings and they barely eat anything compared to my older chickens, so someone else will have to answer that one...
There food has all the nutrition they need, but they love treats ;)
Regarding their feed, DO NOT give them medicated feed. It will kill them. It's fine for chickens but not ducks. Their brooder need to be 95 degrees the first 2 weeks then decrease it down 5 degrees each week :) Please feel free to ask more questions.

~CM6rir

@Eliya4Gpigs if they are on chick starter feed the only thing they need nutritional wise is added niacin. You can add brewer's yeast or nutritional yeast to their food. And make sure their water bowl is deep enough to stick their whole bill in. They have to be able to get their nostrils (nares) in to clear them of food and have to have water at all times. They can choke on food without water.

My duckling Jazzy is doing much better! I wrapped her on Tuesday and left the wrap and tape on til Thursday. They are grazing more and eat the starter with 16-18% protein only two times a day. I give them meal worms and fresh greens as well throughout the day! I can't believe how quickly it improved, I was prepared to rewrap but her wing looks normal now!

Hey, WARNING: I'm a newbie when it comes to ducks, and i got a few questions, i figure this is a good place to ask them. First, let me explain our situation.

My little sister who is almost 10, recently set her heart on ducks. I know how it feels to want a pet very badly. I had to wait 3 years to convince my dad to let me get pygmy goats. 2yrs to get a guinea pig. I thought the more i knew about ducks the easier i could help persuade my dad to let her get some ducks, preferably before she turns 13... (this would not be her firs experience with taking care of a life. She has gerbils who are healthy and happy) ..............So here are my questions:

I read if you don't have a pond, (which we Do Not) you can burry a kitty pool to make it ground level, and the ducks love it. Is this cruel to the animal to only have a small swimming area?
2nd, I don't hear anything about worrying about the ducks flying away. Would you have to "clip" their wings or something? I don't know much about clipping a duck's wings, except what i remember about that movie that i saw when i was like 9 where the girl takes care of the ducks and learns to fly a plane, then takes them south, or something like that.
3rd, She is 9 so she doesn't exactly make income, What are the expenses of owning two ducks? ... Also, i want to make it clear the ducks wouldn't starve if my sister ran out of money. She does save money, and if she did run out, I'd help her out. I never spend money on anything other than my pets, ( or the occasional book) so she'd be backed up.
Ooo.... and, Do you have to buy like frozen fish? or does all that protein come in their pellets?
Whats a good pet breed? Anyway, if you can answer any of these questions or have any other info i should know, let me know! Thanks!

-also, forgot to mention, she'd be getting them when their chicks, so if you have any useful info i should know about temperatures/Chick pellets/pricing/housing, Anything, Let me know :3
1. No. They actually do not even HAVE to have swimming water, though I let them have it. They actually love a small rubber tub.
2. Depends on the duck. Some breeds like, calls, mallards, muscovies, fly and need clipping. Most ducks do not however.
3. 2 ducks? Not that bad. I mean you could make a pen out of pallets that you can find free in many places, and use a doghouse or pallet house as a house. They main expense is the feed, the price of which is a broad range. If you have insects in your back yard, letting them roam around it to eat will lessen what they consume in feed. No, they do not eat fish, though some people will by feeder fish for them as a treat, but it is no the main part of their diet. You basically buy them a bag of chicken food at a feed store.
They are all good breeds depending on what you want them for. Do you want lots of eggs to eat? Or do you just want a pet? There are lots of breeds to choose from! Also, If you are only getting two, get all boys or all girls. If you had a boy and just one girl, he would beat her up, not on purpose, ducks are not mean, but because if a boy duck likes to have lots of girls to mate with and if he only he will mate with her a lot, and that is not good for her.

Here are some random breeds:
Khaki CampbellMagpieHarlequinBlack runnerLight brown ancona

Back
Top Bottom