The Duck Thread

Hey guys! I have a drake Saxony duck who is about three years old. I noticed that everyday I let him roam, one of his eyes was foamy. He also scratches it. I picked him up, and noticed there was some pink bulge that was on the side of his eye, but inside the area of his eyelid. It seemed swollen, while his other eye had the pink part, but it was flat. I probed it gently, and it seemed to irritate him greatly. His eyes watered. What should I do? I let him swim as long as he wants, and it is deep enough for him to submerge his face. Please let me know.

Also, I have another drake who had angel wing. Anyone know how to fix it? He is already pretty much done growing, and has fully developed. I already lowered the protein in his diet, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried to tape it down, but the tape keeps falling off. Please let me know I can fix this as well.I plan to enter him in the fair this year. THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Hey guys! I have a drake Saxony duck who is about three years old. I noticed that everyday I let him roam, one of his eyes was foamy. He also scratches it. I picked him up, and noticed there was some pink bulge that was on the side of his eye, but inside the area of his eyelid. It seemed swollen, while his other eye had the pink part, but it was flat. I probed it gently, and it seemed to irritate him greatly. His eyes watered. What should I do? I let him swim as long as he wants, and it is deep enough for him to submerge his face. Please let me know.

Also, I have another drake who had angel wing. Anyone know how to fix it? He is already pretty much done growing, and has fully developed. I already lowered the protein in his diet, but it doesn't seem to be helping. I tried to tape it down, but the tape keeps falling off. Please let me know I can fix this as well.I plan to enter him in the fair this year. THANKS EVERYONE!!!
Have you tried putting some ACV in his water bucket? @Ducklover3449 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon. AND pick up some Terramycin eye ointment at your local TSC or feed store or Veterycin eye spray or for wounds and Infections. This needs to be addressed before he gets any worse.

As for angel wing if your duck has grown in his wing feathers you will have to wait till he molts before trying again.

Make a saline wash for your drake till you get the other things i mentioned and rinse out his eye. 1/4 teaspoon of salt mixed into 8oz cup of warm water. pour over his eye to rinse it out.

Here's my reclaimed/recycled duck house! Still need to take the table out, add the rest of a front door and waterproof the roof, but it's coming along! Hoping to put my little poppers out this weekend.
[/IMG]

Have you tried putting some ACV in his water bucket? @Ducklover3449 1-2 Tablespoons per gallon. AND pick up some Terramycin eye ointment at your local TSC or feed store or Veterycin eye spray or for wounds and Infections. This needs to be addressed before he gets any worse.

As for angel wing if your duck has grown in his wing feathers you will have to wait till he molts before trying again.

Make a saline wash for your drake till you get the other things i mentioned and rinse out his eye. 1/4 teaspoon of salt mixed into 8oz cup of warm water. pour over his eye to rinse it out.

Ok thank you so much. If I am correct, is ACV apple cider vinegar? And once he molts, how to I stop it from growing back? Thanks again.

Its really hard to get pics of all black ducks lol

Everyone is still doing well. They are great and are starting to follow me. If i have grit for them is it okay to give them peas for a treat? Finally settled on a theme for names. Think we're going to do our favorite literature dragons!

Ok thank you so much. If I am correct, is ACV apple cider vinegar? And once he molts, how to I stop it from growing back? Thanks again.
Yes Apple Cider Vinegar. Lets see if we can get @jchny2000 to share how she did a goose that had angel wing and had to wait till after first molt to fix it. I know she wrapped.

Its really hard to get pics of all black ducks lol

Everyone is still doing well. They are great and are starting to follow me. If i have grit for them is it okay to give them peas for a treat? Finally settled on a theme for names. Think we're going to do our favorite literature dragons!
Beautiful babies...

Back
Top Bottom