The Duck Thread

Its really hard to get pics of all black ducks lol

Everyone is still doing well. They are great and are starting to follow me. If i have grit for them is it okay to give them peas for a treat? Finally settled on a theme for names. Think we're going to do our favorite literature dragons!
Their faces. So kissable.

Oh dear, just came back from a Feather & Fur Fair with 3 little ducklings along with the "planned" chickens...the start of a new adventure!! I understand we should give them chicken starter and yeast, and they'll need to be kept at 90 Fahrenheit, decreasing by 5 every week until they go outside around 6 weeks...but when can they start eating grass? Thanks!

I take mine outside on nice days about 2 weeks old. Make sure you give grit if feeding anything besides chick starter. As long as it isn't chilly outside or really windy they will enjoy the sunshine and grass. I'm sure someone else will chime in too as to when is a good time.

Oh dear, just came back from a Feather & Fur Fair with 3 little ducklings along with the "planned" chickens...the start of a new adventure!! I understand we should give them chicken starter and yeast, and they'll need to be kept at 90 Fahrenheit, decreasing by 5 every week until they go outside around 6 weeks...but when can they start eating grass? Thanks!
Look at those precious child ducks in the box. Anyone see?

Ahhhhh!!!! Precious peek a boo ducks!! So so cute. My husband should be thankful there's no fur and feathers fair near us
1f923.png
1f923.png
the kids and I would outnumber him. Bahaha

They can eat grass right away (I don't know about fresh hatched, but ducks at the store or delivered are at least 3 days old) as long as:

1) They have their routine down so they know where their food and water are.
2) They have chick grit available to eat so their gizzards will be able to "chew" the grass.
3) It isn't a significant portion of their diet - when they are little, they need very specific nutrients that their food contains. If they eat too much grass or lettuce or other foods, they may not eat enough food to get their required nutrients.

Our duck family's first swim! My kids might be just a touch excited. So far we have Wobbles, Louise, Rosie, Maggie and Two...Each named by the child who has laid claim to them. I think I get to name the rest. We're having so much fun and I'm amazed at how much they've grown already!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom