The Duck Thread

This doesn't really show it well but it's very prounounced when she walks and sits.

Hope you don't mind...I corrected the bracket on your link so the picture would show up.
Not a bad bow, but definitely there....pigeon-toed walk.

Last edited:
Quote:
Hope you don't mind...I corrected the bracket on your link so the picture would show up.
Not a bad bow, but definitely there....pigeon-toed walk.
It looks very uniform, maybe it's genetic @casportpony Have you got any ideas?

Quote:
It looks very uniform, maybe it's genetic @casportpony Have you got any ideas?
I was looking at it some more... The curve on the outside of the lower leg, is that the muscle and the tendon? Maybe they slipped off the elbows and are going around the outside instead of behind the leg. I would think this would be very unusual for it to happen on both legs though... I hope someone with more experience on leg problems gets on this.

@Amiga
@RavynFallen
@Miss Lydia

Ok, here I am again. Candled the 2 duck eggs last night, got a surprise when I saw a huge shadow in the air sac of one. Not in the other. I could feel that little thing kicking too. So. I went ahead and raised the humidity to mid 60's. Hope that is right? Haven't turned them today.
Haven't heard any noises
Do they make a whistle sound? I think I may candle again tonight if I don't hear anything by then. If this were a chick egg, I would have thought, hey, it's internally pipped, or darn close. I check for pips and noises every now and again.:)

Ok, here I am again. Candled the 2 duck eggs last night, got a surprise when I saw a huge shadow in the air sac of one. Not in the other. I could feel that little thing kicking too. So. I went ahead and raised the humidity to mid 60's. Hope that is right? Haven't turned them today.
Haven't heard any noises
Do they make a whistle sound? I think I may candle again tonight if I don't hear anything by then. If this were a chick egg, I would have thought, hey, it's internally pipped, or darn close. I check for pips and noises every now and again.:)

They're probably internally pipped, they can take forever to externally pip. On one of my last hatches I barely hear peeps till after they externally pipped.

Last edited:
I was looking at it some more... The curve on the outside of the lower leg, is that the muscle and the tendon? Maybe they slipped off the elbows and are going around the outside instead of behind the leg. I would think this would be very unusual for it to happen on both legs though... I hope someone with more experience on leg problems gets on this.

@Amiga
@RavynFallen
@Miss Lydia

Is this slipped tendon? There is a BYC thread on successful treatment.

I've been giving my 2 week old ducks niacin for a week now for a duck w/ bowed legs and it doesn't seem to be getting better, any tips ??!

Where did you get your ducklings from? Is the one bigger than the rest? What kinds are they?

I was looking at it some more...  The curve on the outside of the lower leg, is that the muscle and the tendon?  Maybe they slipped off the elbows and are going around the outside instead of behind the leg.  I would think this would be very unusual for it to happen on both legs though... I hope someone with more experience on leg problems gets on this.

@Amiga

@RavynFallen

@Miss Lydia

:confused:

I don't really have experience with leg issues, mine have never had any issues... but it seems to be a bigger and more prolific issue this year... I'm suspecting a lot of Jumbos have been sent out... :/

Haven't heard any noises

Sounds good! I aim for 65% personally... just listen for tapping and/or peeping... good luck, you got this! :thumbsup

Ha! I decided to take a peek again, put the eggs back, went to wash my hands, talked to my husband about the candling I did and what I saw, looked back in the bator, and there it was a pip! I could see that little beak right up against the egg shell this time, the other one is now showing some shadow in the large air sac area.
Yaay, can't wait to hear it.

Ravyn..I'm going to the silkie thread to share a photo of the black silkie I hatched from your eggs. So pretty!

Is this slipped tendon? There is a BYC thread on successful treatment.
Kinda what I was thinking on that second look but I have zero experience.

I don't really have experience with leg issues, mine have never had any issues... but it seems to be a bigger and more prolific issue this year... I'm suspecting a lot of Jumbos have been sent out...
hmm.png
I think so too. I know several people have had luck with Jumbos as "Pets", but they really are a "meat" bird and are bred with a 6-8 week life expectancy in mind. There are compromises that have to be made all the time by breeders. Pekins are already bred for huge size (Nearly 4X the weight of their original Mallard roots) and Jumbos push that envelope even farther but I think long term health takes a back seat to processing weight in that case.

Back
Top Bottom