The Duck Thread

My duckling kinda like cries but it's a soft cry when she's sleeping on me sometimes. What does this mean? Also when I'm holding her and out her back in her area she sleeps and stuff she cries REALLY loud untill I pick her up. Help!
Sounds like another lone duckling... Ducks are very social animals. They are quite unhappy being alone. They should always have a friend that is with them all the time, preferably another duck.

Does anyone have any good ideas about keeping their water reasonably clean? My two runner ducklings are demolishing it within 5 minutes and I'm having to refill and clean it 3 times a day. Do I just keep doing that or is there something that can be done? This is my first experience with ducks
1f60a.png

While mine were still in brooder I started with a butter type bowl with lid. Hole cut in lid big enough for their head only to fit. Once they grew a bit I switched to plastic coffee container, thoroughly cleaned out and did same thing with lid. Now they're outside with kiddie pool I empty about every 3 days and plastic shoe box sized bowl for drinking water I refresh every morning. With the pool they seem to keep their drinking water cleaner only food in bottom which I dump in evening when they go in coop for night

im sorry i know i ask a lot of questions but you guys help so much since this is my first duck. i was wondering how you can tell if your duck had imprinted on you.? some one on here said that since i had a single duck and cant get another one that maybe putting a picture of me next to her or maybe a stuffed animal that smells like me wish her and it will help her not freak out as much. was wondering if anyone has heard of this or knows of any other ideas. **side note i did not get the duck it was given to me when she was a week old. i would have not gotten her by herself because i know that they need company.**

Putting a stuffed friend with her/him helps for friendship and warm snuggles. You can also use a mirror that is plastic or metal something to see another duck but can't be broken and hurt the lil one helps too.

Hi guys! :frow Ok so I have two ducklings. They are around 4 weeks old. One of them has been making a "fart" noise, as someone put it, and the other has not. Does that mean one is a female and the other one is male? TIA

It is possible that you have one of each but at 4 weeks they're a bit young to quack so the other one may not be as mature, yet. Give it few more weeks and you should definitely be able to tell. Are they both same breed? My Pekin started quacking weeks before my female runners who were a bit slower to mature.

It is possible that you have one of each but at 4 weeks they're a bit young to quack so the other one may not be as mature, yet. Give it few more weeks and you should definitely be able to tell. Are they both same breed? My Pekin started quacking weeks before my female runners who were a bit slower to mature.

Oh ok :) No, I have a magpie/Ancona (not sure yet) and fawn and white runner :D

I've never had a Magpie, but I love my runners they're awesome.

Yeah. Today mine slipped off the side of my bed down into a little crease. I picked it up and it came and snuggled up against my neck as close as it could get. It does that all the time lol. It's really clumsy and I'm not sure why, but it's really sweet so I'll take it ;) Oh here's a video of them :)

Back
Top Bottom