The Duck Thread

Help please. I hope this is ok joining this thread. I'm hatching Aylesbury ducklings for first time. It's day 28 and nothing. No sign of any pipping/hatching at all. We candled through incubator so not very accurate but saw movement in 6 of the 8 eggs. Could there still be hope of a successful hatch? Children will be so disappointed if none of them are alive. I'm spraying lightly with water daily and keeping temp and humidity correct (I think!) Had anyone else had this happen please?

Help please. I hope this is ok joining this thread. I'm hatching Aylesbury ducklings for first time. It's day 28 and nothing. No sign of any pipping/hatching at all. We candled through incubator so not very accurate but saw movement in 6 of the 8 eggs. Could there still be hope of a successful hatch? Children will be so disappointed if none of them are alive. I'm spraying lightly with water daily and keeping temp and humidity correct (I think!) Had anyone else had this happen please?
are they shipped? Sometimes that can delay it.

Ducklings will get a lot of their food in their water which makes it look disgusting but is not going to hurt them. As long as they get fresh water at least once per day, it should be fine. Now if your problem is with them throwing water all over the place and emptying out the container, there are several designs that can limit that on the forum. Your goal is to allow them to wash their eyes and nares in the water, but not throw it all over the brooder. Typically these designs are based on something like a bottle with a hole in the side big enough for them to stick their whole head in and not get caught but small enough that they won't climb inside and get stuck. Then the water is a bit below the hole so that they can put their bill in the hole and drink or put their head in the hole and dunk it. You want it to be cheap (like a soda bottle) because as they grow, you will need to remake and rethink it. Once they get about a month old, you can make one that they can use with small mods for the rest of their brooding time. Here is the final one I used: it was from a 5 gallon coleslaw bucket I got free from a restaurant. But the same idea works with smaller containers when they are younger.
Thankyou I'm going to try this! They empty it within 5 minutes and make little puddles on the floor. I wouldn't mind so much but they are in with my other chicks which which aren't liking the wet bedding! Think I'm going to take them out and put them in a separate brooder

I've never incubated but my eggs have taken 30-31 days to hatch with my broody. Keep checking them and good luck with your new babies!

Thankyou I'm going to try this! They empty it within 5 minutes and make little puddles on the floor. I wouldn't mind so much but they are in with my other chicks which which aren't liking the wet bedding! Think I'm going to take them out and put them in a separate brooder
Good luck! Separate booders is a good idea. Ducklings are much messier than chicks and tend to grow faster so can trample them. The chicks will thank you.
big_smile.png

Alright maybe its still to early to tell but my DH is convinced my little Lucy is really Luca!! I'm not sold yet, she is only 6-ish weeks old and is very vocal but no true quacks yet. She does look like she may have a drake feather coming in (why DH is sold on boy) but I think she is too young for it to actually be a drake feather just a little bend from sleeping against the wall... anyways here is a video of her and her momma, Daffy. Reminder she is a pekin/WH mix.

This was last night teaching her to head up to the pen for the night! She did a great job!

*edited to add the second video

Back
Top Bottom