The Duck Thread

Hey all I'm going to look at some 8 week old mallard ducklings tomorrow morning. Really wanting females. Can you voice sex them at this age?
It is possible to voice sex them at 8 weeks if they have started quacking. It does vary from duck to duck on time they start and 8 weeks is in middle of that time. My mallard is my quietest quacking girl, but has definite quack. Also mallard males will be bigger than females.. you can also tell by bill coloration males usually have greenish tint but there are always exceptions to this rule. At that age if you take all the above into consideration when choosing your odds should be good. Any quacking is a sure bet. Males are raspy whispery and females are typical quack.

Just picked up 11 Welsh Harlequins, mix of gold & silver, all 2.5wks old. Doing all I can to contain their mess, but looking to see if they're is a better way to feed them.....have a shallow bowl, for their wet chick mash, but there is always 1 who insists on standing in the food. Of course once he exits, another takes his place. So what feeding trough/bowl/holder has worked best for everyone?

The waterer I have down....picked up little 1.5gal plastic buckets that hubs drilled holes in to accommodate all their heads, and we're on to the 2nd bucket based on height.

They usually have their voice by 6-8 weeks of age.

It is possible to voice sex them at 8 weeks if they have started quacking. It does vary from duck to duck on time they start and 8 weeks is in middle of that time. My mallard is my quietest quacking girl, but has definite quack. Also mallard males will be bigger than females.. you can also tell by bill coloration males usually have greenish tint but there are always exceptions to this rule. At that age if you take all the above into consideration when choosing your odds should be good. Any quacking is a sure bet. Males are raspy whispery and females are typical quack.
Ok thanks guys! This is really helpful. :)

Hey guys is this bumble foot?
View attachment 1052039

Not yet... that's just a little scab, probably from a tiny split or cut... just soak in some warm epsom salt, see if the scab is easy to pop off and apply some clear iodine...

Ones like that is best to soak and iodine BEFORE it becomes bumblefoot... good eye... :)

I know now is not a good time to integrate my young ducks with my older ones, but I'm wondering about introducing my newest babies when they are 2-3 weeks with the ones that are now 3.5 weeks. There will be a 3 to 4 weeks difference in age and since neither will be mature I would like opinions on starting integration with them. And when fully mature after mating season integrating with established flock. This way younger ones will already be together and only one group going into larger flock instead of 2.

Oh and my older ducks consist of 3 Drake's, but they're all runners so my new babies will be bigger than them once grown, they almost are now...lol. I do have 1 Pekin but she is very sweet and mellow. She notices and talks to the smaller ones thru fence when I let lil guys out in yard to have some play time but doesn't show any aggression or even trying to get to them in their safety zone.

Back
Top Bottom