The EE braggers thread!!!

Patience is key. Often the winter can in fact prolong a young pullet's wait to lay her first egg. And of course, not all pullets begin laying at the same 'ol early 5-7 month age. I've known plenty pullets of many breeds and crossbreeds alike to lay anywhere from 6-14 months of age. If their time to lay is creeping into winter months, I usually have to wait a little bit longer. But not too much longer, don't worry.
Yeah, winter is not good on the eggies...
hit.gif

Its day 15 of my EE 3 egg hatch. I think only one of them looks like its may be viable. I have my fingers crossed on the hatch.

Mom, Molly seems to be healing up though she has lost a little weight. The weather is being a little rough on her. She has stopped limping but her tail feathers aren't in any hurry to grow back. I am shamelessly giving her extra treats like scratch and probably way too many mealworms everyday. But haven't seen new pinfeathers coming in yet.

I am now not so sure that Molly is a EE. So am wondering just what do i have in the bator? Doesn't matter ether way but i would be nice to 'know'. After the 'mauling' Mollys feet turned dark they are almost the same color as her beard now.

Molly with all her feathers a little over a month before she started laying.

All of the EE's were sold to me as Araucana's and when they all turned out to have tail feathers i figured they were EE's. Well sort of all, when the Rooster got older i noticed that he was missing the tall stiff center feathers on his tail, but he did have a tail.

My late roo Sherlock. The ends of his neck feathers turned a bright shinny red a couple weeks after this photo was taken.

Molly only laid 4 eggs before the dog mauled her. The first 3 were green and they went into the incubator. The last one laid the day after the mauling was blue. I finally got to it in the breakfast egg rotation this morning and the inside of the shell was blue as well. So that got me to wondering so what do you guys think, EE or Araucana's or Ameraucana?

Last edited:
They're Easter Eggers. No hatchery or majority of chicken owners have real Ameraucanas or Araucanas. If it has a beard, if they come in various odd colors, they're Easter Eggers. Those are very classic looking EE's right there. Gorgeous ones, too.

Araucanas don't have beards, they don't have tails whatso ever, their back and rump are actually rounded down, kind of like looking at a bantam Cochin hen's bottom.

Ameraucanas come in recognized colors, you'll notice that if you get real ones, they'll all look the same. Breeders tend to breed each color seperately. Also, all of them will have slate legs. Easter Eggers may have green, slate, and sometimes yellow legs.

They're Easter Eggers. No hatchery or majority of chicken owners have real Ameraucanas or Araucanas. If it has a beard, if they come in various odd colors, they're Easter Eggers. Those are very classic looking EE's right there. Gorgeous ones, too.

Araucanas don't have beards, they don't have tails whatso ever, their back and rump are actually rounded down, kind of like looking at a bantam Cochin hen's bottom.

Ameraucanas come in recognized colors, you'll notice that if you get real ones, they'll all look the same. Breeders tend to breed each color seperately. Also, all of them will have slate legs. Easter Eggers may have green, slate, and sometimes yellow legs.

Thanks it was the egg color that made me start wondering. I am perfectly happy with my EE i was just wondering if i was wrong about her.

Easter Eggers can lay either blue or green eggs, sometimes brown due to the fact that the genetics for a truly green egg actually involve combining both brown and blue genetics. Some Easter Eggers, same with Araucanas and Ameraucanas, can have a sliight change of egg color per egg, yes. It's usually because there's either a) a coating over the egg that changes density and thus makes the color seem different or b) a green egg loses or gains a brown/blue hue to it, making the green more or less "green" versus blue. I've seen some green eggs with brown spots on them, the same bird has laid ones without spots or ones that are slightly more blue-green.

Easter Eggers can lay either blue or green eggs, sometimes brown due to the fact that the genetics for a truly green egg actually involve combining both brown and blue genetics. Some Easter Eggers, same with Araucanas and Ameraucanas, can have a sliight change of egg color per egg, yes. It's usually because there's either a) a coating over the egg that changes density and thus makes the color seem different or b) a green egg loses or gains a brown/blue hue to it, making the green more or less "green" versus blue. I've seen some green eggs with brown spots on them, the same bird has laid ones without spots or ones that are slightly more blue-green.

It was more the fact that the egg shell was colored on the inside. Something i hadn't seen in the EE's i had years ago. They were always white inside.

Sunflower4you - Congrats!! I'm happy for you, beautiful hen and lovely egg. I have 8 EE's that are around 4 months old, my first chickens, and also await my first egg... I have a while to go. How exciting - can't wait for my day. :)

Here are a few of my EEs and ameraucana pullets getting ready for sleep. They are about 17 weeks old, the one splash on the bottom row is a roo.

Back
Top Bottom