The good cockerel and rooster thread

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
One hears about all the bad roosters, but not nearly as much about the good ones.
So I thought it would be fun and educational for people who are raising a cockerel for the first time, to make a thread about the best roosters that you've ever had, and how you raised them.
I've got two, one Light Sussex nicknamed Mister Doodle and his son, George who's mother was a cuckoo orpington.
We bought Mister Doodle when he was 6 months old, and didn't really know anything about chickens so it was just good luck that we got a nice one; I totally trust him with any one, and he looks after his hens.
His only down side is that he's not as protective as I would like.
George is just getting better and better as he gets older, he did get a little naughty when he was young (dancing around my feet) but he's totally grown out of that.
I did chase him away a bit, which helped.

The aptly named Sir Henry the Loud is an Iowa Blue rooster, acquired with two hens; all were adults when they came to live with me.

Totally lucked out because he is good with his girls, enthusiastically tidbits for them and has never shown any aggression toward people. That last point is especially important because he is a big boy with massive spurs and could inflict serious damage if he wanted.

He fathered some lovely hen chicks, and he's also gorgeous, which is a bonus!

Back
Top Bottom