The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

@cmomA happy and fruitful year with great birds and no wrecks to you
1f609.png

And a very merry Christmas to you, too!!!

So sorry to hear this about your pullet, daxi. I wish I knew what was wrong with her, because I have a red sexlink with the same symptoms. She appears lethargic, usually just standing in one spot most of the day. When I picked her up a couple of days ago, water came out of her mouth. I massaged her crop, which felt squishy, and she spewed a copious amount of first green, then brown water. At the end of expelling the contents of her crop, there was a tiny bit of feed. I never see her eating, I only see her drinking. Her crop looks full, but I know it's mostly water. She doesn't seem to be getting any better or any worse. I don't expect her to pull out of it, but I'd like to know what's causing it so perhaps I can prevent it from happening in the future. 
My vet did a basic cut and look. Nothing obviously wrong (no organ issues) feed with a few bits if grass and leaves in her crop, but no sign of digestion for several days, and a total lack of body mass. I could not afford a full necropsy. I hope you get an answer to help your RSL.
Happy New Years!

Last edited:
@cmom A happy and fruitful year with great birds and no wrecks to you
1f609.png

We have another truck so in a couple of weeks there is a show in Lake City, Florida, Columbia County Fairgrounds. I'll be there with PLENTY of nice cockerels 5 to 8 months old.

My vet did a basic cut and look. Nothing obviously wrong (no organ issues) feed with a few bits if grass and leaves in her crop, but no sign of vibration for several days, and a total lack of body mass. I could not afford a full necropsy. I hope you vgetvan answer to help your RSL.
Happy New Years!
After a few days of massaging and draining her crop, she seems to be doing a little better. She's still moving around slowly, but better than she had been. I see her eating a good bit more, and she's getting more active. I had another hen go through the same thing last year, and to see her now, you'd never know it. I didn't have another case of whatever it is until this hen started showing the same symptoms. At least it doesn't seem to be contagious. I hope the rest of your birds stay healthy, and you have a prosperous breeding season.

One more thing... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I didn't make the Lake City show. I had the wrong date on my calendar and have it down for this coming weekend, Jan., 14th & 15th. Good thing someone contacted me and asked where I was because otherwise I would have shown up this coming Saturday. I am kicking myself. I had some nice birds to bring that I had saved for the show. I did sell several birds at another venue thinking the show was this coming weekend. I'm trying to get my birds sorted out and some coops and pens emptied so I can get my breeding pens setup. I have on my calendar March 4th for the Inverness show and should make that one unless I have the wrong date again.
hide.gif
th.gif
barnie.gif

Greetings. I'm looking for a good, heirloom, heritage line of SC RIR. East of the Mississippi would be great to reduce shipping time/handling. North Carolina would be great for eggs or live birds if anyone has any. Located on Fayetteville NC, let me know please! Would like to set around March 15th.

Last edited:
Greetings. I'm looking for a good, heirloom, heritage line of SC RIR. East of the Mission would be great to reduce shipping time/handling. North Carolina would be great for eggs or live birds if anyone has any. Located on Fayetteville NC, let me know please! Would like to set around March 15th.

@Matt1616 has superb SC RIR. He's in Alabama.

Do any of you guys worm your birds before breeding? I was reading someone who worms all their birds before they start breeding, but they are in the UK and the medication they used I cant find in the US. Just curious if you really need to worm birds before breeding, and if so, what do you use and how do you use it?

Do any of you guys worm your birds before breeding? I was reading someone who worms all their birds before they start breeding, but they are in the UK and the medication they used I cant find in the US. Just curious if you really need to worm birds before breeding, and if so, what do you use and how do you use it?
I'll be worming mine before breeding, just to be on the safe side. I thing Fred mentioned something about that awhile back. It's a good practice, just to be sure your birds are at peak performance once breeding starts. Just be sure to follow egg withdrawal guidelines for the medication you use if you plan on eating any. Usually around 10 days...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom