The Hummingbird Haven

Welcome to the Hummingbird Page. I have loved these little stinkers for years. Thanks to their visits, my yard has been certified as a "National Wildlife Habitat" by the National Wildlife Federation. Here you are welcome to share your photos, videos, and stories of these little miracles. In my yard I am blessed with Broadtailed, Rufous, Calliope, and BlackChinned. Just remember these few things: Behave yourself! All BYC rules apply to this page just as they do on all others. Although I can't see any reason for disagreement on this thread, rudeness or trolling will not be tolerated but will be reported. Any photos and videos you post MUST BE YOUR OWN, taken by you or a family member. That means no swiping from the internet. The one exception to that rule is if we are discussing something highly unusual. In that case, post a link to the page with photos, videos or stories, but you may not take the photos off that page and post them unless you are prepared to give full credit to the original photographer. Hummingbirds can be notoriously difficult to photograph, and the folks who took those pictures have every right to have their efforts respected just as you do. Whenever possible, post your photo with identification of the hummer. This can be difficult, because females and juveniles look similar in many varieties, and in areas where territories overlap trying to figure out which bird is at your feeder or flower ain't always easy! Ready, set, GO! Female Rufous Taken near sunset with a Canon Rebel EOS T2i. The camera came with a telephoto lens but it doesn't have image stablization so I set up my tripod and used a remote shutter to prevent camera shake.
look at her. So cute. Little hovering girl. So cool on your yard being named such.

@Blooie that might be helpful to get tips on how to take pictures. My camera isn't anything fancy but if I can only get a few photos for my own enjoyment that would be fun. Good idea, thanks.

Oh, and yes...those little things can be absolute terrors to each other! It's like watching the WWI Red Baron vs. Snoopy free for all out there!

Really? I didn't know that about the male birds.

I keep one feeder on our front deck, right outside of our kitchen window, it allows us to have the best view of them. They often stop and flutter in front of the window and seem to just watch us, its quite amazing. I only have a camera phone so I haven't been able to capture pictures well but I would like to try. I just love hummingbirds!

Thanks, Chicken pickin Have you thought about trying to get a shot from inside the house looking out? I have a couple that I've done that way with my iPad and iPhone somewhere. Once I even set my iPad up on video when I saw a hummer coming back to the same feeder over and over again, and just let it record. Whaddya know? I got him! Had to trim several minutes of nothing off the video, but I got him! I'll see if I can find those shots. And I took one out the bedroom window, through a screen, with that trusty little Fuji Point'n Shoot and it's still one of my favorite shots.

I started humming-birding a couple months ago. I have a frequenter that comes to my feeder about twice a day! (When I look out the window, that is.) I love how small hummingbirds are. I love their cute little chirp!
big_smile.png

Welcome to the Haven! There's only one thing I don't like about having hummingbirds - the season is way too short! I start checking out the hummingbird migration maps long about March, regularly, and come the end of March I'm already making nectar and keeping a feeder going...just in case any scouts are around! A red tablecloth also goes on the clothesline about the same time. But no matter what I do, I don't get my first ones until mid to late June. Wow, all summer 9 to 11 feeders are going like gangbusters! I'm a die hard....and I keep a feeder out even when I have to bring it in at night to keep it from freezing. I had one little Black Chinned still hitting the feeder the first week of November, so just in case, you know?

Anytime! Don't run too far away....got lots of talented folks who I'm sure have some stories and photos to share!

There's a story behind this - my all time favorite hummingbird picture - that I'll post when I get back from the store.

To be continued.........

Back
Top Bottom