The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Nellie these are great!! and those blue Partridge!
love.gif

Isn't that Lavender pullet hysterical
lol.png

Nellie your birds are beautiful! It's been bitter cold here too. I'm so sick of winter! My chickens have done great in this crazy weather. My Orps are wimps too. They yell at me because they don't want to step in the snow.

Nellie they are beautiful. The lavenders I got from you last spring are just starting to lay, got my first pullet egg this week, was so excited! It's the only neg I have found in Orps, they take so long to mature-

70 degrees here today with 25 mph winds . Forecast is for a high of 36 on Wed. with 30 mph winds. Just finished clear tarping all the covered runs today, to cut the wind. Turned the runs into almost greenhouses.Great stuff. ..Nylon reinforced CLEAR tarps from TARPSTOGO on eBay.Super heavy, durable stuff, that lets the sun in. I have some that are 2 years old, and they are pristine.
I just checked ebay. Couldn't find Tarpstogo but did find some clear tarps. Did the one you got have white fibers through it like hardware cloth or was is "crystal" clear?

Nellie they are beautiful. The lavenders I got from you last spring are just starting to lay, got my first pullet egg this week, was so excited! It's the only neg I have found in Orps, they take so long to mature-

Thank you. I have found this to be a draw back with most of the English Orps. They are very late to blossom. I think the bigger the slower
sad.png

With the Lavenders they continue to be a work in progress. They carry a gene that causes the sparse tail feathers (the "retarded gene") instead of the beautiful full tail feathers like the Lavender Cuckoo (note the difference in the tail feathers of Lavender Cuckoo and Lavender roo below)

We are currently using our Lavender Cuckoo in our Lavender pen as 50% of the chicks should be solid lavender, in hopes of reproducing his beautiful tail in the Lavenders. We will also be working with our imported blacks over the lavenders this year creating splits to breed back to the lavenders. Am hoping it all works
fl.gif
, what do you think Jeremy?

I just checked ebay. Couldn't find Tarpstogo but did find some clear tarps. Did the one you got have white fibers through it like hardware cloth or was is "crystal" clear?
Go to eBay and go to ADVANCED search, to the right of Search..Scroll down the page to sellers. Tarpstogo should show up. If not, you can go direct to their website TARPAFLEX.COM. Only get the ones with the white nylon mesh. They last for years. You can join tarps by using HEAVY duty Scotch brand clear packing tape too. I just have the gate to the main run to cover today. This stuff is great as you can cut it, and use the packing tape to attach it to metal posts, and gates.We used heavy zip ties to attach the tarps to the chain link. I've got a photo ....

All buttoned up. Just one panel to go ! This is facing North.

If you'll label your tarps when you take them down, you'll save yourself a hassle next year !

Last edited:
Go to eBay and go to ADVANCED search, to the right of Search..Scroll down the page to sellers. Tarpstogo should show up. If not, you can go direct to their website TARPAFLEX.COM. Only get the ones with the white nylon mesh. They last for years. You can join tarps by using HEAVY duty Scotch brand clear packing tape too. I just have the gate to the main run to cover today. This stuff is great as you can cut it, and use the packing tape to attach it to metal posts, and gates.We used heavy zip ties to attach the tarps to the chain link. I've got a photo ....

All buttoned up. Just one panel to go ! This is facing North.

If you'll label your tarps when you take them down, you'll save yourself a hassle next year !

Wow! Awesome job.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I think he'll be around a while longer, because he just asked me about pullets for eating eggs- but yes, his whole flock is off to Hardin. I'm gobsmacked.

He had the most beautiful row of amazing coops. Just a gorgeous set up. My version of Chicken Heaven.
hit.gif

You all have some lovely birds! I've been off the forum for a bit and the EO group has grown dramatically! I'm looking for a LF roo in Black or any dilution, if any available.

I have need of size in a different project and want the temperament, too.

I've got LF Chocs and Choc Coppers in the works. Toying with a few other colors. I'll get pics up when I can.

Back
Top Bottom