The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I went out and tried to take some pics of the orps today.

Darling (my round lav hen from @homeschoolin momma ) She's as sweet as she is pretty!
IMG_6109 (2).jpg

I want to have a 2nd lav orp, but I still have not decided which pullet to keep.
Left one is a little prettier, but right one is curious and more entertaining.
IMG_6110 (2).jpg

See what I mean about curious...
IMG_6118 (2).jpg

She's certainly not bad-looking and filling out.
IMG_6089 (2).jpg

I also want to keep a black. I really only had one choice. She's a little skittish & squawks when 1st picked up. Hopefully she'll calm down with age. I do like the shiny black feathers.
IMG_6112 (2).jpg

I may also keep this blue girl
IMG_6106 (2).jpg

She also inherited the "curious gene" :lol: Sometimes that makes it hard to take a good body shot. I kept pushing her away, but she continued to walk back up to the camera.
IMG_6104 (2).jpg

My turkey has the same problem.
Just try to take a pic of the chickens with a photo-bombing turkey around!
IMG_6115 (2).jpg
IMG_6116 (2).jpg

The wind was also an issue. LOL

I still need to name this guy or he'll end up permanently being called 'Mr Fluffy Butt'
IMG_6092 (2).jpg
IMG_6132 (2).jpg
IMG_6130 (2).jpg
IMG_6134 (2).jpg

Here's the extra SLO cockerel.
IMG_6124 (2).jpg
e

Very wind today. 😅
IMG_6123 (2).jpg

This laced orp boy is still not crowing..... but this little guy below is.
This is Mr. Squeaky. Because of the high pitch, his crow is barely audible.
IMG_6038 (2).jpg

They all look great! I just love your Orps! My turkeys don't usually photobomb, but the geese certainly do. I usually have to wait until they are occupied somewhere far away for me to get any decent pictures. And then if they notice me they are right back in the camera. lol

What do your Blue Silver-laced look like?

Have any of you ever ordered from Papa's Poultry? I made the mistake of looking at their birds and I'm trying to figure out how many I can get if I sell a kidney...lol

Most of mine came from Ewe Crazy Farms and Papas Poultry. Directly & indirectly

* A friend in Chicago won an auction from them.... He didn't think he'd win, so he bid on another & won that too. LOL As they say, "In for penny, in for a pound." So he paid extra to have the eggs shipped in live bird boxes - all the way across the country. Papas poultry was very generous and filled up the boxes with as many as they could. WAY TOO MANY for my friend's incubators to hold, so I of course helped him out. (and got to keep a few)

BTW- hatch rate for these shipped eggs were 70-75%

I never had live poultry shipped. Only eggs. Any hatch over 50% is great for shipped eggs.

Most of mine came from Ewe Crazy Farms and Papas Poultry. Directly & indirectly

My original pair Sterling and Duchess (yellow-legged) came from Ewe Crazy Farms indirectly. They were hatched from some eggs before the parent stock were sold off to another farm.

BTW- hatch rate for these shipped eggs were 70-75%

I never had live poultry shipped. Only eggs. Any hatch over 50% is great for shipped eggs.

That's pretty fantastic. I like the look of their Lavender Orpingtons, so I may order some in the spring.

I have been ogling Papas poultry’s website for the past year! 😂 Looking at all their Orpington colors, is like a kid in a candy store, you want one of each! They have a lot of project colors as well which are pretty interesting. If I had the space and if they shipped to Hawaii, I would buy some in a heartbeat!🥰

How was everyone's weekend? Saturday was beautiful but I spent the whole day getting new tires and an oil change after hitting a bungee in the road on the way home from work Friday and puncturing my tire with the S-hook. Ironic that I'd just been thinking that I needed some bungees... -_-

Of course it was miserable cold and also rained on Sunday so I didn't get much done. I got birds fed and watered and ran to the feed store. I did bring home a little trio of Khaki Campbells. They've settled well with everyone.

I've been working on designing some layouts for the breed pens I'm going to try to work on when the weather permits so I can get all the birds set up the way I'm envisioning before Spring.

Out of all the chicks I've been hatching I think every one of the Blue Orpingtons is a cockerel...but all the Silver-laced appear to be pullets as well as the one White. I definitely have Mottled in the BBS pen. I'd suspected it, but the oldest set of chicks is feathering out with two for sure Mottled birds, and there are a couple in the younger set too.

Back
Top Bottom