The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I too am not crazy about the new forum....so don't expect much here either. It appears the site has changed mostly to benefit google adwards. To my knowledge here is how adwards works,,,,,,,cookies are reviewed on your computer and the adwards are placed on the site based on your computer cookies in hopes you click and buy....if you do - the site makes money.

It's good to see you back on BYC Richard.
thumbsup.gif

My girls all seem to go broody and at the same time. In the photos I posted the other day you'll see two of the babies running around. I had only left them two eggs because I was gathering and selling eggs and hoping if I took their eggs away every day they would stop being broody but it never works so I let them keep two eggs and two hens shared the nest and have been sharing the raising of the two babies - one is dark blue the other is light blue. My Marans top the list for broodiness but my Orps are a close second. I have a barn full of Marans and their babies running around the farm. They go and find a spot to lay a pile of eggs and then show up with 15 babies. Maybe it's our long, long, hot, humid heat here in deep south. If I were a hen it would make me want to just sit and brood. LOL

Ruth you have surprised me twice, first I didn't know till recently you had orps,
clap.gif
and now I find you have the gorgeous marans too!!
ep.gif

I also have marans, we should catch up.
big_smile.png

Hi folks,
I have one pair of the pure English Orp's (not laying yet) and I would like to know something. I've been reading a lot of posts on so many forums about the heritage, old fashioned etc birds. I've also read a lot about the Orpington chickens. I've read where sometimes it is hard to get fertility from these breeds/varieties because of so much feathering. I've had hatchery Buff Orpingtons for years and never had this problem.
IF, this is true, would they still be considered a heritage breed? Just curious. If I have to be plucking/cutting feathers, I don't think I will get very many fertile eggs because I have enough to do besides cleaning chicken rears. lol

The English wouldn't be considered heritage in the US. As for fertility- mine are just at point-of-lay and it looks like all my eggs are fertile so far. My only issue is that the roos are so fluffy they tend to have dirty butts sometimes. I've never had that happen before- not even in my giant cochins.

LOL Wasn't real clear on my post. I know the English wouldn't be considered heritage in the US, was talking Orp in general. Wondering more just on the fertility part.
Thanks for the response.

How are the English orps from a sustainability viewpoint? Are they super-hardy like American orps seem to be? Happy Mountain has good fertility, but how are the hatchabilty rates for others? I LOVE the looks of all the beautiful birds you all have (they have to be the prettiest birds around!), but I'm wondering if such a beautiful bird might turn out to be high maintenance on a little working homestead.

Hi everyone. I've lost a little of my memory about the imported Orpingtons since I've taken a break from BYC. Will you all remind me what the goal of the Lav Orp project is? Isn't it to get them looking like the English type?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I have one pair of the pure English Orp's (not laying yet) and I would like to know something. I've been reading a lot of posts on so many forums about the heritage, old fashioned etc birds. I've also read a lot about the Orpington chickens. I've read where sometimes it is hard to get fertility from these breeds/varieties because of so much feathering. I've had hatchery Buff Orpingtons for years and never had this problem.
IF, this is true, would they still be considered a heritage breed? Just curious. If I have to be plucking/cutting feathers, I don't think I will get very many fertile eggs because I have enough to do besides cleaning chicken rears. lol

LOL Wasn't real clear on my post. I know the English wouldn't be considered heritage in the US, was talking Orp in general. Wondering more just on the fertility part.
Thanks for the response.

I've had both American Orps and English Orps. I only have English Orps now, and have had them for 3 years. The information I am giving is from my experience. You do not have to trim or pluck feathers continually. I trim my birds only once a year. Once you trim/pluck, you do not have to do it again until after they molt. The feathers will grown back in when they molt. It takes me about 45 minutes to an hour once a year to trim by birds. I have plenty of time to do everything else on my farm that needs to be done. After I trim, fertility is near 100%. I have excellent hatch rates with about a 95%-100% hatch rate.

How are the English orps from a sustainability viewpoint? Are they super-hardy like American orps seem to be? Happy Mountain has good fertility, but how are the hatchabilty rates for others? I LOVE the looks of all the beautiful birds you all have (they have to be the prettiest birds around!), but I'm wondering if such a beautiful bird might turn out to be high maintenance on a little working homestead.

I've had both American and English Orps, though I now only raise English Orps. My English Orps are every bit as hardy as the American Orps. They do great in hot and cold weather. My birds require very little maintenance. My hatchability rates are excellent. I hatch nearly every egg I decide to put in the incubator. I will say that my English Orps don't lay as well as American Orp or hatchery Orps, but that is not my main priority, so that is not a problem for me.

Back
Top Bottom