The Moonshiner's Bootleg Incubator Reviews And Discussions

Pics
Even with large leghorn eggs there's too much extra room. It would fit 6 1/2 eggs per tray so ya there's some extra space that let's the eggs go all over. My quick fix was to put a wad of paper towel at one end. They're also a little wide for my eggs so when it turns a few get wonky.
I'll let them ride this go around and come up with a solid solution next go around.

This is an issue with the similarly-designed Ovation turners as well. I think it's just a problem with that style of turner rail, it's just never going to fit every egg just right. With the Ovation rails, I lean the eggs just enough to one side that even though there's a gap at one end they don't flop around so much in it while turning.

This is an issue with the similarly-designed Ovation turners as well. I think it's just a problem with that style of turner rail, it's just never going to fit every egg just right. With the Ovation rails, I lean the eggs just enough to one side that even though there's a gap at one end they don't flop around so much in it while turning.
Mine seem to be doing fine. I still have the end space filled in and there's a little room side to side but it turns gentle enough that they don't bounce around.
The extra space sure would be handy for hatching larger duck eggs or such so I guess it's not all bad.
I did not know the Ovation had the same kind but now I see they do. Interesting.

Haven't caught up on anything after the first page, haven't really been stopping by BYC as much since it's my busy season here, but I have a new incubator.
I got the CT 120 from Hatching Time/Cimuka a few months ago. It has 4 shelves that hold turners or hatching baskets, I'm only using it as a setter so far as I'd like to keep it all clean. I LOVE this thing! And for $850, I ought to...
Temperature and humidity are bang-on, right out of the box, and they STAY that way. If I open the door it gets right back to it within minutes. It has a steam humidity feature that is just the nuts.
Both front and rear doors open for easy access.
Controls are a bit complicated but not too hard, especially if you're just doing chickens you can leave them as-is.
The only thing I don't love about it are the turning racks, they're similar to what you have going on in the one you just posted. Chicken and duck eggs fit nicely front to back, but side-to-side there is NO way to have a combination of just the right sized eggs for them to sit snugly. I have solved this by putting a zip tie around each one and I slide it over to hold them tight to the opposite end.

It was a lot of money to spend, and I felt bad about that, but the results have been absolutely wonderful (and a new Sportsman isn't any cheaper). I attribute that to the very good humidity and temperature control. It also has the ability to do programmed cooling off periods for waterfowl, if you like. Someday I will get another and have a dedicated Cimuka hatcher as well, currently I'm using a Hovabator with a Humidikit from Incubator Warehouse. I like not having dander or anything floating around my setter.

I also just started two batches with two Maticoopx.

One is shipped eggs, one is eggs from my own hens.

There is an easy way to stabilize the eggs inside the trays using hairbands.

image.jpg

I also just started two batches with two Maticoopx.

One is shipped eggs, one is eggs from my own hens.

There is an easy way to stabilize the eggs inside the trays using hairbands.

View attachment 3597471
Oh, that's brilliant. Let me know if any issues arise.
I'll run this batch then have some on hand before starting the next one.
Thanks for sharing.

That did NOT work....
2 of those eggs are maran eggs and I can't see in them....BUT it appears the side tumble didn't affect the one I can see into...the embryo was swimming all around...🤞🤞🤞

....I am thinking the paper towels may work better...

I left them lay for now...bc if the next thing I try doesn't work and they fall over again....😫😫

I am thinking leave well enough alone...🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Oh, that's brilliant. Let me know if any issues arise.
I'll run this batch then have some on hand before starting the next one.
Thanks for sharing.
Will definitely report my progress. This is my second attempt. First one (shipped eggs) was a fiasco. I am completely new to this so to make sure it wasn’t due to the incubator I am now running two one with shipped eggs one with eggs from my hens.

@The Moonshiner
I have 7 days left still with my 20 eggs. (Started with 30...9 scrambled from shipping and one didn't develope)

I've been running dry this entire time...

Are you dry hatching in your maticoopx??

My dry hatch is already leaps and bounds better then the last time I incubated with this incubator ...hoping for a solid hatch.

Have used a GFQ sportsman for long as I can remember. Gotta work on it sometimes now but still works. I just don't have to need for something so big anymore. 7-8 years ago I got a Brinsea, can't remember the model, just that it was black, clear, yellow, and rectangular lol. It worked really good for a couple years but sold it for some reason. Currently have the 360, have ran 5 hatchets through it maybe. Been averaging 85-90 percent on non shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom