The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Looking at the Hoovers website under "Identify My Chick" those do look like the example given for their Chocolate Orps. Then again you got sent "ducklings" so who knows.
View attachment 3536806
I'm like scoping the wings waiting for a hint for what they feather in like.
Of course I've only had them less then a day and they're Orpingtons (maybe) so they're slow to feather.
So far the only thing showing is white :th

Well, since I got 'tagged', Goldens and Amherst are 'easy-peasy'. You just can't free range them....or I guess you could but only once! :lau Those that say they are hard to raise probably never have raised them or their an out and out liar! They require a higher protein feed than chickens,
a predator proof enclosure, and protection from the harshest elements but that's no different from chickens. They can withstand extremes in temperatures of 110°F to -20°F if given adequate care.

Someone in this thread, :confused: said they are
a mutation. Uh NO!!!! Red Goldens are the 'pure' form of Golden pheasant. The Yellow Goldens are a mutation of the Red Goldens....as well as all the other color morphs, Cinnamon, Dark Throated, Salmon, and to a lesser extent, Peach and Silver, which are a cross between Yellow and Cinnamon and a mutation 'poped up' creating the Peach. Silver Goldens are thought to be a dilute Yellow Golden. Then you also have splashes of all of them....do to all the cross breeding that has occurred.

Sorry to 'bend your ear' here but sometimes I get carried away talking 'pheasants'!
ETA- picsView attachment 3524926View attachment 3524945View attachment 3524947View attachment 3524960
I think the Peach golden pheasants are beautiful that is literally my dream bird. I would love to get a pair but have no idea where to find any and don't have a great spot for them to go currently. If I put them with my chickens there is a risk of fighting or disease.

Damn. I'm sorry I didn't warn you about Hoover's bad quality of standards beforehand...I probably should have so you wouldn't have ordered from them.
It's all good. I knew they sucked and their birds were poor quality but all I wanted was the chocolate gene.
I actually thought it would work to my advantage if their Orpingtons didn't look like good Orpingtons. You know a crappy Orpington is closer to the Leghorn then a good Orpington. That was my thought.

I think the Peach golden pheasants are beautiful that is literally my dream bird. I would love to get a pair but have no idea where to find any and don't have a great spot for them to go currently. If I put them with my chickens there is a risk of fighting or disease.
They are....or at least the really dark plumage ones are, the light color...eeh, not so much, I have both light and dark and an intermediate dark color. but even with what appear to be 'pure' Peach in color, you will on occasions get 'splashes'! And fertility isn't all that with them either!

They are....or at least the really dark plumage ones are, the light color...eeh, not so much, I have both light and dark and an intermediate dark color. but even with what appear to be 'pure' Peach in color, you will on occasions get 'splashes'! And fertility isn't all that with them either!
How old do the males need to be to get full color? Do they go back inside the coop at night like chickens? Are they aggressive? I had Ringneck pheasants a few years ago and the males murdered each other

How old do the males need to be to get full color? Do they go back inside the coop at night like chickens? Are they aggressive? I had Ringneck pheasants a few years ago and the males murdered each other
Hey I don't want to 'hijack' this thread so either post your questions to me in the Pheasant forum or PM me.

Way more than I thought she had.
20230610_214112.jpg

Thankfully no Spanish mixes and I don't see any Cornish or D'anvers mixes at first glance, so all should be either 'project' chicks or phoenix chicks
Also....
20230610_215027.jpg
20230610_215115.jpg

Back
Top Bottom