The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Dunno has just appeared with a white face....

Come from the same group as all the other dark chicks in the batchView attachment 3689528View attachment 3689529View attachment 3689530View attachment 3689538
Update on white face 20231206_104307.jpg

Barred and mottled?
I'm waiting till it fully feathers but my guess would be something weird like those few barred ones I had that look like a barred and laced looking combo.
Interesting though because I've had similar a couple times that was mottled. I just didn't think he had any mottling in his lines so....

I'm waiting till it fully feathers but my guess would be something weird like those few barred ones I had that look like a barred and laced looking combo.
Interesting though because I've had similar a couple times that was mottled. I just didn't think he had any mottling in his lines so....
I have once before had a black chick hatched that had a sort of mottled breast. Can't remember if it was from this group or not... ill see if I can dig up a pic

20211008_172103~2.jpg
Found it.... this one came out of a black rooster.... so not the same line as my birds now

Last edited:
That was my first thought..... but I don't have any mottled birds....

To show mottling do they need to have the gene from both parents? Or can they show it with 1 gene?
I have had chicks show mottling in first to third juvenile feather. In the first adult feather it completely disappeared only to reappear in the second adult feathering. I have a cock here that carries the mottled gene, but has never shown it.
In my experience they don't have to show it in order for them to carry it.

Mottling is recessive so one copy doesn't show. Yes they would need two copies, one from each parent to show mottling themselves.
But ya I've had birds of various colors/patterns that at some point looked to have a bit of mottling but it had to be something else in play.

Back
Top Bottom