The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

Sent the last 17 leghorn chicks (10 days old) and my Cuckoo breeding group (1 Rooster 3 hens ) on a 2 hour flight out to the Chatham Islands. 20240311_102345.jpg

@WallyG74
I didn't set no eggs. I'll shoot for next weekend. Had some stuff come up that took up too much of my time.
But besides that I've got some different groups set up so need to redo my whole egg codes. Probably gonna have to go with 4 letter codes to keep the confusion down.
Gotta make sure every egg is coded and coded consistent so no mix ups at hatch.
Probably gonna have to go to a new toe mark code too. Thinking and notes, not my favorite parts for sure.

All 3 BC hens are laying, but I have one thing bothering me. Now I can’t sit and watch chickens all day like some people, but I have yet to see those BCs doing the chicken nasty. I’m a little concerned about that bunch. I may be setting a bunch of infertile eggs. That little guy is only concerned with running at me and hitting the fence. My big RIR boy sees me and he goes and finds a hen as if to show me that he’s doing his job. That’s a rooster that wants to keep his job!
look, I haven't seen my rooster even try to breed in a while, but the only other roo is a humongous Cornish Cross, and he probably only ever mated the hen who goes under the fence to see him, (he is fenced in for attacking humans) so the chick in the egg that I'm incubating is almost certainly his. they can be sneaky!

look, I haven't seen my rooster even try to breed in a while, but the only other roo is a humongous Cornish Cross, and he probably only ever mated the hen who goes under the fence to see him, (he is fenced in for attacking humans) so the chick in the egg that I'm incubating is almost certainly his. they can be sneaky!
Yesterday, I noticed some missing feathers on the back of one of the hen’s neck. A good sign that he is indeed doing work. I’m just not witnessing it.

I didn’t know Cornish Cross ever attacked humans. I never thought about it, the docile ones we see are just babies.

I didn’t know Cornish Cross ever attacked humans. I never thought about it, the docile ones we see are just babies.
yeah, I was minding my own business and the bird snuck up on me and bit me in the butt for no reason. then he started attacking other people, and he ran at my little sister. we would just eat him, as at this point he is a 20 something pound meat rooster, but he's literally not worth the effort it would take to skin him.

Back
Top Bottom