The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

This is what happens when I’m gone for a weekend and have no one else brave enough to go collect eggs:
View attachment 3787851
Happy Easter, everybody🥚:bun
I can totally relate to this picture. I have a pullet pen and a hen pen that I slack on collecting eggs from.

I can totally relate to this picture. I have a pullet pen and a hen pen that I slack on collecting eggs from.
Do you have a lot of squabbling going on over “best” nesting box or area for them to lay in too? I swear mine lose their minds like this every time I’m gone 🤦🏼‍♀️

ETA: Excluding winter of course

Do you have a lot of squabbling going on over “best” nesting box or area for them to lay in too? I swear mine lose their minds like this every time I’m gone 🤦🏼‍♀️

ETA: Excluding winter of course
Nest box? No they don't get one of those.
In the hen pen I have a small breeding pen built up off the ground and against the back wall. When I built it I had planned on putting another one on top of it. (Never did cause it would be pretty high and I don't want to have to stand on a bucket or something to get to it) anyways the top of the pen is plywood with a 2x4 frame around it on top. That was to keep the shavings in. It's like a shelf and that's where they lay. So one big box.
The pullet pen has a 100 gallon horse water trough that's a brooder. It was just being stored in there but they wanted to use it as a nest box so I've left it there until I decide I need it. So ya one big box there too.

Hmmm… I have ONE that just hatched and looks to be solid yellow. As it fluffs that may change but it’s definitely different than all the others.
Same as Jacin.
The last "yellow" chicks I had were white. Dominate white chicks are yellow. My splash are usually closer to white with a light blue or grayish hue.

@AMM10
The two Chocolate Orpingtons started laying. I've got 4 eggs so far. When I brought the egg flat in with 2 brown eggs the boy was rather confused. He was like wth, what are those? Lol, he's never seen brown eggs I guess. At least not from here.

I'm gonna share my egg find today!

1000005574.jpg

Also one of my Sebrights was sticking her head under the door wanting in the garage where I'm brooding the hatched chicks.

1000005571.jpg

She went all the way back to that upright toolbox. This is what I found. 🤣
1000005573.jpg

I also have galvanized trash can up next to the at the washroom door. There is a covered area between the house and garage there and two of my Spitzhaubens fight over who gets to use it as a nest.

Back
Top Bottom