The Moonshiner's Chick Chat

There's a fallacy that chickens are 'past their prime' at 2. This is from the chicken factories that suck the life out of their hens. In a proper homestead with good food and housing and care, they are good for many many more years. They may not lay as many eggs, but they can reproduce just fine.

3 is not old. :)
My siblings think we should eat all of them at 3-ish. No. just. No.

How about half of them at 16 to 20 weeks?
We have two groups: Bigs and Littles.

Lilttles were bought because, "We're going to let them lay for three years then eat them". Idiots picked out heavier, fatter meat breeds in a hot area. I warned them. We'll see how true my warnings are.

I may have a slight paranoia of burning my house down but it's really not in play about this.
I've never really considered one because most would be too small to work for me and the bigger ones aren't worth the expense to me.
I saw one that was pretty cheap the other day but it sold before I thought about the option of using two. I keep my chicks in the house for the first week and thought maybe just for use in that brooder.
You know to give one a try to get out of the stone age of chicken keeping.
I stick with the lamps now that I don't brood in the house. But I think they're a good option for brooding in the house (other than the basement)

I stick with the lamps now that I don't brood in the house. But I think they're a good option for brooding in the house (other than the basement)
Luckily I don't have a basement.
Oh man if I did I'd have wall to wall incubators and a few brooders. Maybe a cot, a recliner and a mini fridge right in the middle of the room.

Luckily I don't have a basement.
Oh man if I did I'd have wall to wall incubators and a few brooders. Maybe a cot, a recliner and a mini fridge right in the middle of the room.
You'd make half fridge half incubator. Sounds loony but then again that word comes from "moon".

@notabitail
Maybe I'll start calling this guy... notatail
20240322_161241.jpg

Back
Top Bottom